Is Apple Pencil 2nd Gen compatible with iPad Pro M4?

Hi! I am wondering if the Apple Pencil 2 will still be compatible for the iPad Pro M4 if I decide to trade in and upgrade my current iPad. I just use the pencil for a very heavy college course load taking notes.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 7, 2024 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2024 6:08 AM

I ordered the new 2024 iPad Pro 11 inch to replace my 2018 iPad Pro, my daily workhorse. My reaction

a) I was incredulous to discover my Pencil2 is not compatible with the new iPad Pro

b) I understand the necessity to redesign the Pencil given the new position of the front camera

c) I am OUTRAGED that Apple is not offering a Pencil trade in program for people upgrading their iPads - and needing to upgrade perfectly good apple pencils as a result of the design change.

This is not a good look for apple and it feels terrible for me as a customer.

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2024 6:08 AM in response to kaidenwinn

I ordered the new 2024 iPad Pro 11 inch to replace my 2018 iPad Pro, my daily workhorse. My reaction

a) I was incredulous to discover my Pencil2 is not compatible with the new iPad Pro

b) I understand the necessity to redesign the Pencil given the new position of the front camera

c) I am OUTRAGED that Apple is not offering a Pencil trade in program for people upgrading their iPads - and needing to upgrade perfectly good apple pencils as a result of the design change.

This is not a good look for apple and it feels terrible for me as a customer.

May 17, 2024 2:08 PM in response to kaidenwinn

The second generation Apple Pencil is not compatible with the just-announced new iPad Pro M4 models.

The front camera and FaceID sensor array have been relocated from the short-edge to the long-edge of the iPad - such that the camera and sensor array are now positioned top-centre of the screen when the iPad is positioned in Landscape orientation. As such, the camera/sensor array now occupy the internal cavity previously used for the second generation Pencil's inductive pairing/charging system.

To accommodate this change, the charging system for the Apple Pencil has been completely redesigned - moving the associated electronics to different cavity locations along the top edge of the iPad chassis. The new Apple Pencil Pro has been specifically designed to accommodate the new physical architecture.

As such, the second generation Pencil is incompatible with the new iPad's Pro. Similarly, the new Apple Pencil Pro is also incompatible with earlier models of iPad Pro.

Here is Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

May 8, 2024 12:43 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for the information. I understand the need to move the charging components in the new designed iPad. Hence the USB version Pencil still support since it can be recharged separately? But if we can recharge my Apple Pencil 2nd Gen through my old iPad, I should still able to use my 2nd Gen Apple Pen to the new iPad, right? Or this is still not compatiable for some reason?

May 12, 2024 10:42 PM in response to Carol B.

It is never good to assume downward compatibility, especially when considering the purchase of new, leading edge technology. The rule is to always do your research before making a purchase.

Apple needs to make that kind of information more clear, nowhere in any documentation, at least at the time of the announcement, do they note that the 2nd gen apple pencil is not supported. In fact, this very thread is the first result on google pertaining to this subject.

Also that's very wrong to assume things don't have backwards compatibility, typically these kinds of thing DO support that.

May 7, 2024 8:10 AM in response to kaidenwinn

It looks like the Pencil 2nd generation is not compatible with the new M2 Air and M4 Pro iPads. The new iPads appear to support the USB-C pencil and the new Pencil Pro announced today.

Go to the iPad > Pencil pages on Apple's website, then select one of the pencils and pick "Buy" (you can back out later). Scroll down to the Compatibility expander for each model of Pencil.

May 11, 2024 7:47 AM in response to kaidenwinn

If you don't order the M4 iPad Pro because your older version pencil will not work then youre not really a genuine customer for the new iPad. The pencil is only 10% of the cost of the iPad itself, a small price to pay for such an excellent device. Therefore, if you really want the new iPad, then you really don't care about buying a new pencil !!!! my 2 cents.. :)

May 8, 2024 1:00 PM in response to cykso

It would still not be compatible. If you think about it, you pair the pencil to your iPad by placing it on the charging spot on your iPad. Once it's magnets to the side it goes into pairing and pairs with the iPad. How are you going to accomplish this if it's not able to connect to the new iPad?

cykso wrote:

Thank you for the information. I understand the need to move the charging components in the new designed iPad. Hence the USB version Pencil still support since it can be recharged separately? But if we can recharge my Apple Pencil 2nd Gen through my old iPad, I should still able to use my 2nd Gen Apple Pen to the new iPad, right? Or this is still not compatiable for some reason?

May 12, 2024 8:38 AM in response to kaidenwinn

I get the need to change the design, etc. I think Apple will sell a bunch more iPad Pros if you offer something like $40 - $75 for old 2nd Apple Pencils in the store. These pencils could then be resold to others. If you treat your customers reasonably well, you will sell more iPads by resolving this Apple Pencil issue. I'm an apple fan, and an apple shareholder who thinks you should consider this idea. Let us know.

May 14, 2024 1:52 PM in response to ToniSmith

ToniSmith wrote:

I had placed an order for the new iPad 2 days ago, but when I learned yesterday that my 2nd generation Pencil was NOT compatible, I cancelled the order today. I am angry and incensed that Apple expects me to purchase ANOTHER Pencil when I have a perfectly good one, especially since I planned on trading in my older iPad for the new one. The OLD Pencil is ticketyboo, but my 2nd gen pencil is not because of the "new" design. THIS IS INSULTING.

It's insulting that Apple should improve the hardware of the iPad? What a novel idea.

I know that NO ONE at Apple cares one way or another about one lone dissatisfied customer.

Well, they certainly won't know based on anything you say here. Apple doesn't read here for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

I should not have to pay for new accessories every time I upgrade equipment.

So, when I buy a new car, the floor mats I bought for my old car should fit? When I buy a new iPhone, the case for my old one should fit?

May 15, 2024 5:06 AM in response to DirkHesse

DirkHesse wrote:

My new Apple Pencil Pro just arrived from UPS and I was wondering why it will not connect with my 12,9" Ipad Pro (2022).

It only works with an M4 ipad Pro or the new iPad Air which has the same M2 Chip then my iPad. We are talking about a simple Stylus. The M2 chip will carry me for years...I'm not willing to upgrade to have a similar experience as the Surface pens.

I had to personalize my pencil because my Son has the 2nd Generation Pencil and they are indistinguishable. What prevents me from returning the item. Jeez I'm so angry right now.

Apple why? This is pure Marketing nonsense and not "It just works".

In most countries/regions, if purchased directly from Apple, you can unconditionally return an undamaged/unwanted item within 14-days of its original purchase from Apple.

Here is Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Different models of Apple Pencil use entirely different pairing and charging interfaces.

The second generation Pencil and Apple Pencil Pro can only be used with iPad models that have a magnetic/inductive dock that is exclusively designed for the Pencil. Automatic charging and pairing of these Pencils is controlled by the iPad's magnetic dock.

While the second generation Pencil and Pencil Pro both use inductive charging/pairing, the inductive-coupling components that charge the Pencil are positioned differently - this being necessary to accommodate camera hardware used in 2024 models of iPad Pro and iPad Air.

The first generation Apple Pencil uses the physical Lightning port of the Pencil and host iPad for both pairing and charging the first generation Pencil. The first generation Pencil can also be charged using an inline charging adapter and the iPad’s Power Adapter. This pencil can only be used with compatible iPad models that have a Lightning connector; with the sole exception of the iPad10, requiring a special adapter, iPad models that feature a USB-C port lack any means by which to pair with a first generation Pencil.

The USB-C Pencil is compatible with all models of iPad that also feature a USB-C port.

In summary, the Apple Pencil models are not interchangeable - and can only be used with the iPad that has appropriate internal hardware.

May 9, 2024 8:40 AM in response to SnowCat7

You're welcome. I'm delighted that you found the explanation to be helpful.

New models have different technical and physical attributes. After all, if the new model as the same as the last, what would be the point of a new model?

There are other changes. By example, when comparing the outgoing sixth generation 12.9" with M2 CPU, with the new 13" iPad Pro with M4 CPU and larger screen:

• the chassis is 1mm taller
  • the chassis is 0.6mm wider
  • the chassis is 0.5mm thinner
  • has only one rear-facing camera instead of two (losing the ultra-wide camera)
  • has only four studio quality microphones instead of five

As such, in addition to the second generation Pencil being incompatible, a fitted case designed for the prior model iPad Pro cannot be used with the new model.

Is Apple Pencil 2nd Gen compatible with iPad Pro M4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.