Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How can I convert mbr to gpt without losing data?

I'm currently setting up a dual-boot system on my Mac, and trying to install Windows 11 on an external hard drive, my external drive is currently set up with MBR (Master Boot Record), but Windows 11 requires a GPT (GUID Partition Table) format. I need to convert an external drive from MBR (Master Boot Record) to GPT (GUID Partition Table) format for the installation. The drive contains important data that I cannot afford to lose. I'm looking for a safe and reliable method to perform this conversion without risking any data loss. Could anyone suggest the best tools or procedures for converting an external drive from MBR to GPT?

MacBook Pro (M3, 2023)

Posted on May 8, 2024 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2024 4:33 AM

The drive contains important data that I cannot afford to lose.

If that drive contains your only copy of that data it is already at risk of loss, at any moment, even if you were to do nothing.

10 replies

May 9, 2024 6:08 AM in response to Thomas850

Thomas850 wrote:
The drive contains important data that I cannot afford to lose. I'm looking for a safe and reliable method to perform this conversion without risking any data loss.

You need to back up the "important data" to another drive. In fact, good practice would be to have 2 backups on separate media.

If you don't back up your data before attempting to "convert" this drive you will have a risk of data loss approaching 100%.

May 9, 2024 12:19 AM in response to Thomas850

Pull off the external drive to a Windows computer and use the free disk genius app to convert mbr to gpt without losing data.

DiskGenius is a powerful disk management software that offers a wide range of features such as disk partitioning, data recovery, disk cloning, and more. One of its key features is the ability to easily convert MBR to GPT without any data loss.

1. Download and install DiskGenius on your computer.
  2. Launch the software and select the disk that you want to convert from MBR to GPT.
  3. Right-click on the selected disk and choose the "Convert to GUID Partition Table" option.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the conversion process.
  5. DiskGenius will automatically convert the disk from MBR to GPT without affecting any of your data. It is a simple and straightforward process that can be completed in just a few minutes.

So if you are looking for a reliable and easy-to-use tool to convert your disk from MBR to GPT, look no further than DiskGenius.

May 9, 2024 1:17 AM in response to Thomas850

gdisk is a free app that is able to convert mbr to gpt on Linux and Unix alike system.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

It is a powerful command-line tool that allows users to manage and manipulate disk partitions on their Mac computers. One common task that users may need to perform is converting an MBR disk to a GPT disk. GPT is a newer partitioning standard that offers advantages such as support for larger disk sizes and more partitions compared to the older MBR format. Converting from MBR to GPT is essential for users who need to exceed the limitations of MBR disks or if they want to take advantage of the newer features offered by GPT.

To convert an MBR disk to a GPT disk using gdisk on a Mac, users can follow a few easy steps. First, users need to open Terminal on their Mac which can be found in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder. Next, they can launch gdisk by typing "sudo gdisk /dev/diskX" into Terminal, replacing "diskX" with the disk number of the MBR disk they want to convert to GPT. Users can then enter their administrative password when prompted. From there, users can use gdisk commands to delete the existing partitions and create a new GPT partition table on the disk. Finally, users should remember to save the changes they made in gdisk before exiting and restarting their Mac for the changes to take effect.

May 9, 2024 1:43 AM in response to Thomas850

Hi guy. There are several third-party partition management tools available that can help you convert MBR to GPT without losing data, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant, EaseUS Partition Master, or MiniTool Partition Wizard. These tools often provide user-friendly interfaces and step-by-step instructions to help you safely convert the drive.

May 9, 2024 8:44 PM in response to Thomas850

I had this same problem when upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 and there were many paid solutions online with few simple solutions I could find. However, it's pretty easy to do it yourself with a single command. Convert MBR to GPT (even on the partition containing the active Windows 10 OS) with the admin command:

mbr2gpt /convert /disk:# /allowFullOS

where # is the disk index (usually 0 for C:) obtained from the disk manager. You can run this command on multiple drives without losing any data.

How can I convert mbr to gpt without losing data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.