Unable to add extra email to appleID account: "The request cannot be processed at this time"

Im trying to change the email-address associated with my AppleID. The way I want to do this is by adding another email (a Gmail address to be more specific) to my account through 'Sign-In & Security' in settings, and after that, deleting the email-address thats currently connected.

However, after entering the verification code thats send to my new email it tells me: "The request cannot be processed at this time". It has been going on for quite a while (aprox. at least 1 year) and I've tried it through a browser as well as through the settings app on my iPhone.

Im sure there's no existing AppleID account on the new email that I'm trying add.

I'm hoping there's someone out there that knows the root cause of my problem, or even better, a fix for it! :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,

Lucas

Posted on May 8, 2024 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2024 4:54 AM

Lucasvh2k wrote:

I’m hoping it’s not a bug or that the email-address is somehow already in Apple’s database causing it to think it’s not available for use.

If you have any more ideas on things to try, that be great!

Hey Lucasvh2k, sorry the links/threads couldn't help. May I suggest you Contact - Official Apple Support for further assistance.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2024 4:54 AM in response to Lucasvh2k

Lucasvh2k wrote:

I’m hoping it’s not a bug or that the email-address is somehow already in Apple’s database causing it to think it’s not available for use.

Hey Lucasvh2k, sorry the links/threads couldn't help. May I suggest you Contact - Official Apple Support for further assistance.

May 9, 2024 1:48 AM in response to The_Referrer

Hi The_Referrer,

Thanks for your comment.

The first url you’ve provided indeed describes the route I took to try to add my new email to my AppleID. 

The second url describes an almost identical problem to mine, however the owner of the post later added that he/she already had an active AppleID that was using the email address. For me that’s not the case. Though it might be that I’ve used the email that I’m trying to add for an AppleID in the far past. But I’m sure there’s no active AppleID using it right now.

Unable to add extra email to appleID account: "The request cannot be processed at this time"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.