How to Open Files Created on an Apple from 1996? I believe it was an Apple IIc Plus

My mom shared some old files from our 1996 macintosh, I believe it was an Apple IIc Plus. They are listed in Info as type "Unix Executable File" so the default application is terminal, but they don't open successfully with it. They contain binary, per `cat` ...

Thoughts? Any way to scrape the data out into ASCII? They contain only text. Thanks

Posted on May 8, 2024 10:22 AM

4 replies

May 8, 2024 1:43 PM in response to sukarsono

I have no idea about the Apple II file systems, but early Mac systems used "File Creator Codes" and "File Type Codes" embedded in what was called the "Resource Fork" of the file. No extension necessary.

As time marched on, and Apple went to OSX, they finally aligned themselves with the rest of the world and started using file extensions. Resource Forks were dropped. Per unix conventions, files without extensions are assumed to be programs.

May 9, 2024 5:45 AM in response to sukarsono

The free LibreOffice Suite can open Word Perfect documents and an extensive collection of other document formats from the past or present. The WP word processing documents use a .wps extension and with LO installed, one can right-click and choose Open With > LibreOffice. LibreOffice does not make up for any WP documents that used specialized extensions in their creation.

LibreOffice 24.2.3 is supported by macOS Catalina and later.

How to Open Files Created on an Apple from 1996? I believe it was an Apple IIc Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.