Apple Watch underestimating distance walking and running after recalibrating

My watch is consistently giving me distance values that are under the actual distance that I have run or walked by .50km over a 5km run or walk. I have tried recalibrating and still getting the same results.

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 10

Posted on May 8, 2024 4:27 PM

17 replies

May 11, 2024 2:24 PM in response to hockymom91311

When you recalibrated your Apple Watch were you in a very open area and under a clear sky? Is your height and weight in an other health measurements updated and accurate? Did you carry your iPhone with you when you did the calibration? Other factors to check are that you’re wearing the watch tight enough and have the orientation of the Watch set correctly.

Have you reviewed the Apple Support article I linked below?

Calibrate your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Why are you using GPS only? What is your thinking for limiting the accuracy?

May 11, 2024 6:34 AM in response to Ingo2711

Hey - just for a test I tried using the Workoutdoors app and testing it with the Apple Watch and against the garmin. I have the Workoutdoors set to use the GPS data only. The results were crazy but I won't post them all here but just one from last night - the Workoutdoors with apple is wildly off (the top photo) and the Garmin is representative of what I acutally did.

According to Workoutdoors and Apple I walked further but had only .59km, Garmin has me at 0.64km which is very close to the actual distance I walked. My dog is afraid of walking in the dark so the walk was short, lol. I definitely think that we are both right in that there is an issue with the GPS.

May 11, 2024 10:52 AM in response to hockymom91311

OK, as a test and to close my activity ring, I took a walk this evening.

Apple Watch Ultra on my left arm and the Garmin Forerunner 235 on the right wrist, and the iPhone in my pocket.

The GPS seems to be accurate on the Ultra 2, compared to the Garmin.

Screenshot WorkOutDoors

Screenshot Garmin

There were no tall buildings, which could, as mentioned by Jeff Donald, have a negative effect for the GPS signal reception within a city.

May 9, 2024 11:10 AM in response to Ingo2711

I always have my phone with me and the watch just has GPS. You should work for apple, these are all the questions the amazing service provider asked lol. I had re-calibrated, checked all of my settings to ensure that everything that was to be toggled on was before contacting anyone. The GPS is a little off when comparing it to other devices (Garmin Forerunner 265) but not significantly when overlapping the mapping routes. I have tested both on an oval track and get the same distance deviation with the Apple Watch - consistently off by at least .50km over 5km and almost a whole 1km over 10km. The Garmin was a little off, less than .05km on the track over 5km and 0.09 over 10km. I don't expect any device to be perfect but close would be nice. It seems that there is a real issue within the watch.

May 9, 2024 11:39 AM in response to Ingo2711

Unfortunately I can't, most folks I know are Garmin fans (or were until the new Connect update). I like you have suggested, think it might be an issue with the GPS on the watch. I will know for sure after the Genius Bar appointment. I do thank you for all of your insights though. I might not be so disappointed if it was over-estimating my runs - might boost my ego a bit with better pace times, but seriously I do appreciate your time.

May 11, 2024 1:22 PM in response to Jeff Donald

I can appreciate that but they with the exception of one none are higher than 3 stories, most being 2 stories, if they were all highrise apartment buildings I could understand the variation but they aren't, the track I run on is in a rural area with very few buildings and the distance is still way off. I will see what the Apple folks say on Wednesday and report back - maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Thank you for responding, I do appreciate your time and consideration.

May 11, 2024 2:52 PM in response to Jeff Donald

That was the first thing I went to see if I could fix the issue before coming on here or contacting apple. It did nothing to solve the problem.

You are making huge assumption that I limit accuracy - running/walking with Workoutdoors was just a test, it is not something that I use on a daily basis. I normally run and walk with my phone and use the native workout app.

I still have a significant discrepancy in my track runs when using the workout app and carrying my phone of around 1km in a 5km and at least 2km in a 10km.

Looking other online forums it seems that there are others with this issue as well.

I spoken with apple support about all of this and all was done properly, I have done everything I could to ensure that the data was being collected accurately and the watch was calibrated in a wide-open space in clear skies. This is why I have an appointment in store, they could not find or fix the issue remotely. I have been wearing an Apple Watch since the very first version came out. I am now on my third, the series 8, my previous 5 was great.

Apple Watch underestimating distance walking and running after recalibrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.