Cannot add debit card to Apple Wallet

Hello,

I cannot add my debit card to Apple Wallet. The card is valid and working. Also it was working to the last moment in Apple Wallet on my Watch and iPhone until I had to reset privacy and location on my iPhone to solve a different problem. Then I wasn't able to re-add the card (however I re-added Revolut card with no problems). I checked with the bank and the card is not blocked in any way and just yesterday I paid with the card over internet. While experimentign I tried to add the card through Garmin Connect on the same iPhone to my Garmin fénix 5 and that is now also failing. I was told to make a seperate thread for this problem.

Will be grateful for any help.

Thank you.

Bye

Pavel

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on May 9, 2024 4:58 AM

16 replies

May 9, 2024 12:07 PM in response to precaq1912

It could be the VPN app/software, even if the VPN is off/not connected, the software and the profiles some apps install can interfere with the bank approving the card for Apple Wallet. I can’t guarantee that’s the issue, but in a troubleshooting scenario, it’s a big red flag.

If you want to bypass deleting the VPN app, the next step would be resetting Network settings. It shouldn’t affect your VPN settings, but it could make some changes and alter the VPN.

May 9, 2024 6:32 AM in response to precaq1912

Please check these settings at this path,

iPhone > Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services — On, Wallet — just text information > Location Services > Wallet — you may have 1, 2, or 3 Wallets showing, make sure they are all enabled for precise location and you’re sharing location.

It’s OK to switch the settings off and on and confirm the settings. This sometimes clears errors. Just make sure they’re all enabled/on.

May 9, 2024 11:36 AM in response to Jeff Donald

You've lost me with the second part "Wallet — just text information > Location Services > Wallet — you may have 1, 2, or 3 Wallets showing, make sure they are all enabled for precise location and you’re sharing location."

Do you mean "iPhone > Settings > Privacy & Security > Wallet — just text information"? Yes, I see there only some text, nothing to tamper with.

And "iPhone > Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > Wallet"? I see only 1 wallet, settings were as you requested, but I also changed them and then put them back.

Unfortunately adding the card is still unsuccessful.

May 10, 2024 10:59 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Hi Jeff,

I have to say I don't think removing the the VPN profiles and software would make any difference.

I am still more and more suspicious there is something wrong with the card.

When my wife gets back from work I will try to add the card to Wallet on her phone, just to be sure and then we can isolate the problem around my AppleID / devices.

May 12, 2024 9:07 AM in response to precaq1912

Hello Jeff,

So the reason I cannot add the card is that since last week in order to add a MasterCard card you need to have your own identity in the bank app from the bank that issued the card (I cannot tell you if this is specialty of the bank we are clients of or if it is somehow being enforced globally) and I had my wife's identity in the bank app, because till now there was no reason for more bureacracy and signing of documents and it was working. But now probably during the validation process the bank checks the name on the card (mine) against the name in the bank app (my wife's) and since they don't match it fails. My wife needs to go to the bank and let them create a separate identity for our account for my name. I don't know why the first person on the helpline I talked to wasn't able to give me this simple reason and explanation.

Thank you for your help and sorry that I took your time.

Have a nice day,

Pavel

Cannot add debit card to Apple Wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.