Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Why so hard to see PRICEs for apps? And why do I need a card for a free app?

I don’t mind paying for an app, BUT I want to see the price before. How about Apple list apps by Free or Paid/Price. This would save scrolling.

Also I just got a supposed free app by clicking GET. Now it wants my credit card. I only use prepaid cards now because of past overcharges but it won’t accept that. Even for a free app.

What’s the point of free if I still have to share cc info?

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on May 9, 2024 11:56 AM

1 reply

May 9, 2024 12:37 PM in response to peter4good

peter4good wrote:

I don’t mind paying for an app, BUT I want to see the price before. How about Apple list apps by Free or Paid/Price. This would save scrolling.

That's what Apple does. If the app is free to download, the button says "Get". If it costs money to download, the button shows the price.

Some apps are free to download but offer in-app purchase or subscriptions. For those, as there is generally too much to fit on a button, you do need to scroll down.

Also I just got a supposed free app by clicking GET. Now it wants my credit card. I only use prepaid cards now because of past overcharges but it won’t accept that. Even for a free app.

Yes, Apple requires a payment method. You can use pre-paid cards or gift cards if you prefer.

I would note that I've been using iTunes and the App Store since each were made available and have never been mis-charged. I have been charged for things I forgot to cancel before the trial ended but one can hardly blame Apple for my absentmindedness. Now, I put those on my calendar.

What’s the point of free if I still have to share cc info?

"Free" doesn't mean you don't have to share information. "Free" means you don't have to pay money.

Why so hard to see PRICEs for apps? And why do I need a card for a free app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.