Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

A1708 has problems recognizing SSD when charged beyond around %80

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 (A1708) which has its logic board and SSD replaced 2.5 years earlier. My computer developed a really strange habit in the past month. When the battery is charged beyond certain level (around %80) system starts having problems recognizing SSD. (Unable to wake up) When this problem worsened and made system useless even with unintended restarts, I cleaned contacts of SSD and board. Cleaning made a difference (better overall performance, battery life) but underlying problem is still there.

My question is, which component is causing this problem: board or the SSD? How can I make sure that problem will be resolved with a new SSD?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 9, 2024 1:29 PM

9 replies

May 9, 2024 4:21 PM in response to DR1L

DR1L wrote:

Hi,
I have a MacBook Pro 2017 (A1708) which has its logic board and SSD replaced 2.5 years earlier. My computer developed a really strange habit in the past month. When the battery is charged beyond certain level (around %80) system starts having problems recognizing SSD. (Unable to wake up) When this problem worsened and made system useless even with unintended restarts, I cleaned contacts of SSD and board. Cleaning made a difference (better overall performance, battery life) but underlying problem is still there.

My question is, which component is causing this problem: board or the SSD? How can I make sure that problem will be resolved with a new SSD?

Thanks.

Try resetting the System Management Controller Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

May 10, 2024 9:20 PM in response to DR1L

The internal SSD in the non-Touchbar MBPro 2016 & 2017 models has an extremely high rate of failure. Most times the failure is noticed when powering on the laptop or when waking the laptop from sleep because the SSD takes longer to go ready. Many times you will find Kernel Panic logs showing a reference to "nvme" (there are about three common types of error conditions). Sometimes the Kernel Panic logs are not saved due to the crashes.

I hope you have a good backup because the SSD could fail completely at any time and most likely it will be impossible for a professional data recovery service to recover any data (or it will be extremely expensive).

While it is possible to install a third party OWC SSD to replace the original Apple OEM SSD, I personally would not recommend spending any money on this laptop for a number of reasons since there are so many issues with this model (some issues even most contributors on this forum are not fully aware). Plus if you have never had the battery replaced before (or had the Top Case/Keyboard replaced), then you will likely need to do so sometime in the near future since that battery is probably wearing out (about $250 US). The money spent for upgrades/repair would be better put towards a new laptop in my opinion since this model is now considered "Vintage" by Apple.

May 10, 2024 9:51 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for your reply. To update on the matter I observed the different effects of the chargers namely: the original 61W and a 20W Apple USB-C chargers. 61W makes things worse by crashing even earlier. But I managed to jump start with the USB-C memory again. As you said crash reports do not exist in the relevant folder even though I sent many of them to Apple. I understand a local copy of the sent reports are not saved locally.

If I can make sure that the problem is caused by the SSD I can buy a preowned Apple OEM SSD at a reasonable cost. If it is a board problem your point of view is more relevant.

I bought this computer purely because we were extremely impressed with the original MacBook Air in every way. Faulty screen hinges of Air were replaced after four years together with the screen free of charge because original had a design fault. Only after 10 years of use, battery of Air needed replacement after a thermal shock in winter.

I call this the "Steve Jobs effect" : he was such a perfectionist all his products are designed to work even they become vintage.

May 11, 2024 8:06 PM in response to DR1L

FYI, the Kernel Panic logs will be located in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports" with a file name beginning with "kernel" and ending in ".panic". If there are no relevant logs there, then check the "Retired" sub folder since sometimes macOS is very aggressive on relocating logs.

Otherwise, I find the easiest way to confirm an SSD failure is by booting from an external macOS drive. Then sleep & wake the laptop to see if the internal SSD physically disappears from macOS. Sometimes just sleeping the laptop for a minute or so is enough, other times you may need to let it sleep for a bit longer. It really depends on how bad the failure is plus the failure can be intermittent.

As for the charger issue, that sounds like a Logic Board issue. I do know that the USB-C ports do wear down very easily so that cables become loose, plus the USB-C ports seem to attract liquid and becomes corroded which can cause problems....even system crashes if the conditions are just right.

These USB-C Macs are nothing like the older models. I definitely do not recommend putting any money into the 2016 - 2020 Intel Macs due to all the known issues with them (and some little known issues that only techs supporting thousands of them are aware).

May 11, 2024 11:41 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for your reply. I have no Kernel Panic logs in the specified folders although many of them were sent to Apple.

You are right, I found classic signs of corrosion in USB-C port just like the ones found in SSD connector. I cleaned that also but the damage has been done already to the logic board it seems.

This explains two failing A1708 logic boards after 634 battery cycles with approximately 2.5 year intervals. Supplying 61W from a USB-C port instead of a Magsafe port was not a good idea in the first place.

May 14, 2024 9:46 AM in response to DR1L

nvme: "AppleS3XController. PCI link down.

"nvme" here refers to the internal SSD. "PCI link down" is saying the connection to the SSD is not available.

Confirmed the SSD is most likely failing (there is always a slim possibility the issue SSD's support circuitry on the Logic Board, but I doubt it unless there has been some liquid damage). Every case I have personally seen while supporting my organization's Macs have been due to a bad SSD on this model (MBPro 13" 2016 & 2017 non-touchbar). All things being equal, the SSD is usually the weakest link.

While it is possible to install a third party replacement SSD from OWC, I personally would not put any money into this laptop due to multiple known & some lesser known issues with the hardware as that money would be better spent going towards a new laptop. You already suspect possible issues with the battery which I'm sure will need to be replaced sometime soon if it hasn't been replaced before (about $250 US), or perhaps the seemingly battery related issues you are seeing some other issue with the Logic Board (I cannot tell from what you've described). This laptop model is now "Vintage" meaning hardware support through Apple is becoming limited and the last supported version of macOS is 13.x Ventura which will be unsupported by the end of 2025 (yes you can continue using the laptop and your apps will still work although online based apps will slowly start to be unable to access online services as developers stop updating apps for Ventura).

A1708 has problems recognizing SSD when charged beyond around %80

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.