Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Siri has changed how to send a text

When using my iPhone, siri now requests I pick a message type when I ask to send a text. Previously I would ask Siri to send a text and it would automatically start an iMessage. Now it asks me to choose between messages, What's App and Google. How do I set default to iMessage? It's really irritating to have to specify every time I want to verbally send a text.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on May 9, 2024 1:43 PM

3 replies

May 15, 2024 7:43 AM in response to LadyLW1

LadyLW1 wrote:

I deleted whats app but I don't want to delete a gmail app. So do I have to ask to send an iMessage now? That's ridiculous since that is a main Apple product.

Gmail is not a messaging app so I'm not sure how it figures into things. Google does have a messaging app, called Google Messages, I believe.

Siri doesn't read minds. Tell it which app you want to use. I don't have any other messaging apps on my phone so I can't test this but it's possible that it will learn over time. Also, make sure you're updated to iOS 17.5.

Siri has changed how to send a text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.