Newsroom Update

Apple announces new accessibility features, including Eye Tracking, Music Haptics, and Vocal Shortcuts. Learn more >

Why did the iPhone stop using the Voice I chose for Speech Content after the update? And how do I get it to work right?

I got a brand new iPhone 15, 5 days ago. I set it up to use the options my old iPhone had. It read screens perfectly in the UK voice I chose.

Then I updated it to ensure it had the newest software. Ugh.

Now all I hear is an annoying female US English voice that sounds like one of the first computerized voices from decades ago. I have checked and rechecked my VoiceOver and speech content settings and they all state that Jamie is the voice - only he's not

I am vision impaired and I use the speech feature for my screen from everything from the web to books. I cannot handle this horrible voice. Please tell me how I can get the voice I want.

Thank you.

iPhone 15, iOS 17

Posted on May 9, 2024 2:10 PM

1 reply

May 9, 2024 2:20 PM in response to Thiapolis

Actually, I just figured it out. and I've been trying vo days.

I do not know why it worked at first. But I just changed the voice to a different one and it worked. So I went to change it back to Jamie and saw that suddenly Jamie wasn't listed as being downloaded. So I've downloaded his voice and now it seems to be working perfectly.

So if you have problems on an iPhone 15 with ios17, try what I did and see if it works for you.

Why did the iPhone stop using the Voice I chose for Speech Content after the update? And how do I get it to work right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.