Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Do I need an iPad?

I finally had enough of Microcrap and went Apple eco. I use an iPhone, Mac mini, Apple Watch, and, even though I have ALWAYS hated using laptops, an Apple MacBook Air. These are all synced through iCloud. I am strictly an info and entertainment internet guy. My question is, do I need to invest in an iPad? Any thoughts?

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 9, 2024 2:50 PM

4 replies

May 9, 2024 9:10 PM in response to OldSchoolGuy-1946

If you get an iPad that has a cellular data modem, it will be very much like a big-screen iPhone that can't place or receive cellular phone calls (or send or receive SMS/MMS text messages) on its own.

Yes, some of the iPads now have M-series processors … and Apple's started to add enough features to the iPad version of iOS that they prefer to call it "iPadOS". But even iPad Pros that are close to entry-level MacBook Airs, hardware-wise, don't yet have the option to run macOS.

So – is that the type of device you want, relative to the all the other Apple devices you're already familiar with?

That's up to you.

May 10, 2024 2:21 AM in response to OldSchoolGuy-1946

Given your described usage and existing investment in Apple devices, an iPad would perhaps be an ideal device.

If you already own a Mac, you will have the best of both worlds - as both Mac and iPad have their strengths and weaknesses - and together, using Sidecar, are a powerhouse. Neither are a full replacement for the other; some users have preference for Mac, while others find an iPad to be ideal for their needs.

Alone, a modern iPad is a very powerful and portable device; iPadOS has matured considerably in recent years. iPad doesn't run macOS - and neither does it need its potential complexity.

Many users, myself included, now use iPad as their main "go to" device of choice - having foregone the impracticalities of a traditional laptop/desktop computer. On occasion I may need to use a desktop computer for a specific task (usually to perform a firmware update of an obscure USB device unsupported by iPad) - but those occasions are increasingly rare as iPads and iPadOS become even more capable 🙂

In summary, do you need an iPad - or would you benefit from an iPad? With devices that you already have, only you can decide - but given the information that you have provided, an iPad might indeed be an ideal fit!

Be in no doubt, a modern iPad is in no way a dumbed-down device; power-users find all the tools and capabilities that are often needed. By contrast, an iPad provides simplicity where appropriate, removing much of the unnecessary complexity of traditional computers.

Do I need an iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.