How to make the Desktop come to the front with Cmd + Tab > Finder if the Wallpaper is not visible

Prior to Sonoma, Cmd + Tab > Finder would navigate to the Desktop and show what is now called 'Wallpaper' and all disks and folders on the Desktop. Now it only opens windows on the Desktop and not the Desktop ('Wallpaper'?) itself. When I click Desktop in the Sidebar, the same behaviour manifests.

I am aware I can click on the Desktop to make it appear, as per settings shown in attached screenshot, but sometimes no part of the Desktop is visible if open applications occupy the entire screen space. I am also aware I can use Cmd + F3 to splay all the windows out of the way, but I would like to know, how can I make Cmd + Tab > Finder work as it used to and show the Desktop with the so-called Wallpaper and all the disk icons etc?

Mac Pro

Posted on May 9, 2024 6:14 PM

2 replies

May 10, 2024 5:23 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for replying. What I want +TAB >Finder to do is bring the Desktop to the front, and treat it like an app window, not just open the open Finder windows while concealing the 'wallpaper' and disks of the Desktop. Currently, the other open apps are still between the Finder windows and the Desktop, and so unless I hide them all, I do not see the Desktop with the disks on it.

Below are three screenshots - the first of this page, the second of what happens after I click +TAB > Finder and the third of what appears after I click +F3

First:

Second:

Third:

It is currently configured so +F3 does this, but doing so hides everything else, so all I see is Desktop wallpaper. Sometime prior to Sonoma, +TAB > Finder would bring the Desktop with all disks and other paraphernalia on the Desktop to the front, as well as open Finder windows. I am trying to reinstate that behaviour. Settings for Mission Control as below. I don't fully understand what MC is actually supposed to do.

May 10, 2024 9:25 AM in response to dwmusic

dwmusic wrote:

Prior to Sonoma, Cmd + Tab > Finder would navigate to the Desktop and show what is now called 'Wallpaper' and all disks and folders on the Desktop. Now it only opens windows on the Desktop and not the Desktop ('Wallpaper'?) itself. When I click Desktop in the Sidebar, the same behaviour manifests.

I am aware I can click on the Desktop to make it appear, as per settings shown in attached screenshot, but sometimes no part of the Desktop is visible if open applications occupy the entire screen space. I am also aware I can use Cmd + F3 to splay all the windows out of the way, but I would like to know, how can I make Cmd + Tab > Finder work as it used to and show the Desktop with the so-called Wallpaper and all the disk icons etc?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/ec466d08-95a9-432a-88e5-7ceede1aa7cf

Not sure I get it.

Prior to Sonoma, Cmd + Tab > Finder would navigate to the Desktop and show what is now called 'Wallpaper'

what did it used to be called?

I see Finder in the HUD (heads up display) using Command Tab

You can add a new Desktop by moving your mouse to the far right side while in Mission Control...

Command Tab seems to work the same.

Mission Control will show all Desktops and Full Screen apps.

Opening an app to occupy the full amount of screen real estate is not "Full Screen mode"

ref: See open windows and spaces in Mission Control on Mac

How to make the Desktop come to the front with Cmd + Tab > Finder if the Wallpaper is not visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.