iPhone 15 Pro focus shift for extreme closeups

I’m having a problem with the focus shifting on the iPhone 15 Pro for extreme closeups.

I’m taking pictures of a small Lego figure, which requires a very steady hand and some finesse. Previously, with my iPhone 11, I could lock the focus on the objects “face”, make my adjustments and I was done. Now, after I lock the focus, if I move even a fraction of an inch, the focus changes to the background. I’ve included a pic of what I could do previously and what I get now.

It seems like it is switching between lenses; I can’t seem to find a setting or adjustment that will allow me to keep focus where I really want it, not where the iPhone thinks.

any advice?

iPhone 6, iOS 11

Posted on May 10, 2024 1:56 AM

2 replies

May 10, 2024 2:36 AM in response to hoopsmiller

Adjust the camera’s focus and exposure

Before you take a photo, the iPhone camera automatically sets the focus and exposure, and face detection balances the exposure across many faces.

If you want to manually adjust the focus and exposure, do the following:

1. Tap the screen to show the automatic focus area and exposure setting.
  2. Tap where you want to move the focus area.
  3. Next to the focus area, drag  up or down to adjust the exposure.
  4. To lock your manual focus and exposure settings for upcoming shots, touch and hold the focus area until you see AE/AF Lock; tap the screen to unlock settings.

Adjust the camera's focus and exposure

1. Open Camera.
  2. Tap the screen to show the automatic focus area and exposure setting.
  3. Tap where you want to move the focus area.
  4. Next to the focus area, drag. up or down to adjust the exposure.

Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot - Apple Support

iPhone 15 Pro focus shift for extreme closeups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.