Photo Library on Icloud drive - needs moved

When trying to open my Photo Library, I get the follow message. I can not figure out where the folder is and how to move it to where I am being asked to move it.

"The Library can not be opened" "Photo Libary" is in iCloud Drive, and nees to be moved to a folder on your Mac to open.

I think have an option to Quit or Open Other. I open other and nothing comes up.

Any help would be appreciated

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 10, 2024 10:09 AM

10 replies

May 10, 2024 10:39 AM in response to Leach826

One way to get to iCloud Drive is to use the "Go" menu in Finder.

Or you could just type "command-shift-i " for iCloud, I guess.

Apparently you will find the package, "Photos Library.photoslibrary" there. It belongs in the Pictures folder. For me, and I think for most people, the Pictures folder is in the Sidebar. So you can just grab it and drag it in there.

Let us know if it all works (or not)...

May 10, 2024 10:43 AM in response to Leach826

The Photos library is not designed to be housed on the iCloud Drive. It must be on a local volume formatted APFS or OS X Extended (journaled).

iCloud Drive is a syncing feature to that all devices signed into the same iCloud account have access to the files on it and have the same files mirrored in the Home/Library/Mobile Documents folder so they are available when you're not connected to the internet. So you're not saving any space by putting the library in the iCloud Drive.

May 10, 2024 11:14 AM in response to Old Toad

Actually, OT, I found that you can't put a Photos Library in iCloud Drive at all! (unless you change the suffix) Here is a 4 GB Library I "moved to iCloud Drive" days ago:

It's a trick! It's not actually there! As you said, it's in the Mobile Documents folder-- but it doesn't sync. It is not in the iCloud list for my iPad.

I just noticed that it indicates today as it's "modified" date, just like the other Libraries that are in the Pictures folder. So Photos knows it's there. But I'm on Ventura, and it may be that Photos in Sonoma ignores it.

May 10, 2024 12:04 PM in response to Leach826

It should be in the Pictures Folder.

Once you put it there, double click on it to open that Library in Photos.

You may want to check Photos>Settings>General and make sure that

Use as System Library is grayed out. If it's not, click on that to make sure this is your System Library.

You may have more than one Library floating around. To find out, close Photos, and then option-click on the Photos icon to get list of Photos Libraries. If you only see one, you're good. If you see more than one, you might want to look to see what's in the others.

Photo Library on Icloud drive - needs moved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.