Others can't hear me when audio streams to my hearing aids

I wear Beltone hearing aids. After the last iOS update, others can't hear my voice when on a phone call. I've called Betone, who walked me through changing the Voice Isolation settings during every call. The problem is that it takes so much time to do that (Bluetooth off, Swipe, Voice Isolation, Bluetooth on, Audio- Hearing Aids) that I can't answer a phone call. If I try to switch during the call, people often hang up due to not hearing me for several seconds.

Is there a way to set my phone to work ALWAYS with my hearing aids? If not, I'm leaving Apple. Apple - do better for those of us who are hearing impaired. Grrr.

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on May 12, 2024 3:34 PM

3 replies

May 15, 2024 4:50 PM in response to nazpastorjames

Re: I have iPhone 13, which has worked flawlessly with my Beltone hearing aids for 2 years.

Wondering if you checked with the Belltone rep.for a possible firmware update, or, if you use an app, an app update. If your hearing device has its own app from the manufacturer, that app might offer additional settings and controls.

Am no expert in this area, yet your questions certainly deserve some response:

We do not know which iPhone settings you have in use, or whether there are settings you aren't using: As we now know you are using the iOS 17.5 software:

See: Use hearing devices with iPhone - Apple Support

Eg: says:

• On the Lock Screen: Go to Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices > MFi Hearing Devices, then turn on Control on Lock Screen.

From the Lock Screen, you can :

• Choose whether phone and media audio are routed to the hearing device.
    • Choose to play ringtones through the hearing device.

Also see how to:

Route and automatically answer calls on iPhone - Apple Support

For quicker access to some settings and features:

You can use the Hearing module in Control Center. To add the Hearing module, learn how to customize Control Center on iPhone or iPad

You can also use the Accessibility Shortcut on iPhone or iPad if you wish.

Re: Others can't hear me when audio streams to my hearing aids

If you need to adjust the microphone volume on iPhone or iPad: Go to Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices. To see more settings, tap the name of your connected hearing device.

The volume can also be adjusted while you are actually on the call. Also, you can switch the audio to the speaker or a Bluetooth® device.

Apple support's article: While on a call on iPhone – Apple Support 

Eg: Adjust the audio during a call:

To change the volume, press the volume buttons on the side of iPhone

(make sure "mute" is not on)

More info on what's available : Apple Accessibility website for Hearing

All the best :-)

May 13, 2024 4:47 PM in response to nazpastorjames

Hi nazpastorjames,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: Others can't hear me when audio streams to my hearing aids:

What to do: If the microphones don't work - Apple Support

Check you do not have a focus set ... Do Not Disturb.

Also: see: While on a call on iPhone - Apple Support

Eg: says:

"When you’re on a phone call:

Tap the audio button, then choose an audio destination".

and

"Adjust the audio during a call

To change the volume, press the volume buttons on the side of iPhone

(make sure "mute" is not on)"

________________________________________________________________________-

Re: "After the last iOS update, others can't hear my voice when on a phone call."

Seems you are still using your iPhone 7 with iOS11 ?

If so, you may want to update your iPhone to the newest compatible iOS version: iOS 15.8.2

Seems Apple often suggests we keep devices up-to-date for security, as well as "bug"-fixes etc.

Try going to Settings > General > Software update to check if another update is waiting to be installed.

Re: "Is there a way to set my phone to work ALWAYS with my hearing aids?"

We do not know which update you installed ...

If something is not working as expected on your iPhone, you might try re-starting it. (ie: deletes temporary files, re-established connections, may update recent setting changes, and often restores order)

If needed: How to: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If you still need help:

Wondering if your hearing aids are compatible with your iPhone ...

For compatibility tips you can browse: Use Made for iPhone hearing devices - Apple Support

Apple also has a long list of the compatible hearing aids. List of Made for iPhone hearing devices - Apple Support

I counted 15 different Beltone models ... you might check if yours are listed.

If so, the article contains links to various tips you may wish to use.

If your hearing aids are not "Made for iPhone" compatible, seems the Beltone routine does work, though tedious.

All the best :-)

May 15, 2024 3:09 PM in response to nazpastorjames

Yes, I have iPhone 13, which has worked flawlessly with my Beltone hearing aids for 2 years. Yes, it is iOS 17.5. Yes, I checked for updates. Yes, I have restarted each device. Yes, I deleted the Beltone app and reinstalled. Yes, I 'forgot' the device from the phone's Bluetooth settings and re-paired it. Yes, my hearing aids are 2 years (actually 20 months) old and are the latest model that Beltone sells. Yes, they are made for iPhone and iPhone/Apple approved.

I was hoping there was another trick to getting the settings to stay, rather than the clunky work-around. I just want my $6000 hearing devices (yes, my cost after all discounts) to work as they should with my $900 phone.

My Beltone rep says that iPhone is notorious for having troubles, but Android phones do not. It is enough to make me sell my Macbook pro, my 2 iPads, and my iPhone ... but that would make me incompatible with the other 3 iPads, 2 Macbooks, and my family's iPhones. It's frustrating that I can't use my phone to make a phone call.

Thanks all.

Others can't hear me when audio streams to my hearing aids

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.