QuickTime videos playing sideways

I recently upgraded to an iMac with an M3 chip, running Sonoma 14.4.1. All my videos that were in portrait mode, are now sideways in landscape mode, when viewing with QuickTime player (10.5). If I go to edit to Rotate right, they rotate 180 degrees so they are still sideways. I can't get them to rotate only 90 degrees. These same videos play fine on my older Intel Mac computer which was running the same system. Any hints would be appreciated!

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on May 13, 2024 5:21 PM

2 replies

May 17, 2024 2:32 PM in response to Matti Haveri

I don't think I'll ever understand computer quirks! I spent a frustratingly long time playing with this-quitting QuickTime, re-starting the computer etc & nothing worked. Just now, after not doing anything different with the computer, I opened a video (just family type videos taken on my iPhone) to try your suggestion, and it plays perfectly. I checked others, and everything is now in the right orientation. I'm confused but happy. Thank you for answering my question anyway!

QuickTime videos playing sideways

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.