MacBook cursor jumps around but what am I doing to make it do so?

On my MacBook 12" 2016 running Monterey, I have long had trouble with a jumping cursor in the middle of typing in Word. I don't think there is anything wrong with the machine but that I am inadvertently operating cursor controls I don't know about, say to jump up a line, select a passage or jump to the end of a line. I'd like to disable all these controls if I can, but I can't find where I can do this

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 14, 2024 2:05 AM

1 reply

May 15, 2024 8:17 PM in response to Quicksy

First, try an SMC reset:

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

In notebook Macs, unexpected behavior of either the trackpad or keyboard can be caused by a swelling battery. Some things to check that don't require opening the computer:

—Feel the joint between the trackpad and upper deck. It should not be higher on one side compared to the other, and the trackpad should show no bulging

—Carefully examine the line where the chassis meets the bottom plate. The joint should be uniform. Missing screws can means the battery has been putting pressure on the bottom plate.

—Place the computer on a known level surface. Granite and solid-surface ceramic counter tops are great. See if the computer rocks when you apply ligh tpressure. Rocking indicates one of the rubber feet is not touching down and can herald a swollen battery.

If you see any hint of these, get the computer to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider as soon as possible for evaluation. Batteries can swell quite fast and can destroy a computer in days if not addressed.

MacBook cursor jumps around but what am I doing to make it do so?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.