Number key 1 doesn't work on my macbook M1

Hi,

My key number 1 doesn't work, even I try on keyboard viewer, but I can still use that number key like a shortcut or i can use it in lockscreen to type password.

I checked my macos is up to date, the mouse keys, sticky/ slow keys are off, my keyboard layout is U.S., reset "keyboard" in the activity monitor, even reset my mac many times.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 14, 2024 10:13 AM

8 replies

May 14, 2024 11:28 AM in response to namesg

First, let’s see if this issue happens in Safe Mode:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button.
  3. Select your startup disk. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name.
  4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click the “Continue in Safe Mode” button below your startup disk.
  5. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode:

Leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally, then try to reproduce the issue.

If the issue doesn't return, it might have been resolved by the other things that safe mode did at startup, such as checking your disk and clearing caches.

The last resort:

You are facing some sort of internal failure.

Get expert service and support at the Genius Bar.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

May 14, 2024 10:50 AM in response to namesg

namesg wrote:

Hi,
My key number 1 doesn't work, even I try on keyboard viewer, but I can still use that number key like a shortcut or i can use it in lockscreen to type password.
I checked my macos is up to date, the mouse keys, sticky/ slow keys are off, my keyboard layout is U.S., reset "keyboard" in the activity monitor, even reset my mac many times.

start here—

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Typically a straight line of keys, or keys associated on a diagonal, or issues w/ isolated keys like your example—indicates a hardware issue.

The keyboard is a complex of 5 layers of mylar® and associated traces—not repairable. The resolve is replace the keyboard— which would read as a top case replacement

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Number key 1 doesn't work on my macbook M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.