What is the best codec for rendering a Rec.709 Master file in FCPX?

When exporting Master Files of 8 bit 4K HLG footage in a Rec. 709 project, what is the optimal Apple codec to use Master Files?

To efficiently manage memory, I'm creating a Master File for each scene in my feature length documentary. When all the scenes have been colorgraded and individually rendered, I will stitch them together in a FCPX project as a last step. Is there any advantage to saving the Master Files as uncompressed 8 bit?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 14, 2024 10:21 AM

11 replies

May 14, 2024 10:57 AM in response to Quillnib

Don't use uncompressed. Unnecessary and you won't believe how huge the files are.

Most commonly users build sections in separate projects, then copy/paste into a master project and export. Do not render; it may speed up export a little but it's more likely to create problems.

If you want to go the route you outlined you can export ProRes HQ. It should be fine. If you want the best quality intermediate use ProRes 4444. XQ is really only needed for special effects compositing.

May 14, 2024 1:15 PM in response to Quillnib

Anything above ProRes 442 (standard ProRes) is overkill and will give you larger file sizes without any benefit. Over sized codecs can't add data to clean up your video, it is what it is. Red. 709 is. pretty standard and even at 1080 a standard ProRes 422 file handles plenty of bit rate to do the job very well.

But have to have disagree with Tom, 4x4 and HQ are overkill, larger file sizes with zero benefits for Rec 709 HD. Especially at 8 bit, that's very little.

May 15, 2024 8:29 AM in response to BenB

All the ProRes formats are 10-bit, or 12-bit. I think the higher bit rate is useful for multiple compressions at that frame size. That would be my choice. Because of the prevalence of 4K media I think that's why Apple made HQ the default render format, not that I ever render anything, but they still insist on having background rendering active as the default setting.

May 15, 2024 3:30 PM in response to Quillnib

Thanks Tom. Much appreciated. When you write "Most commonly users build sections in separate projects, then copy/paste and export", do you recommend creating a compound clip of the project I'm moving or would you recommend just copying and pasting the clips to the master project?

Also, if I have a project with extensive masks, animations, etc, would you recommend rendering the effect-heavy clip rather than copying and pasting it, so that it doesn't slow down rendering of the master project?

May 15, 2024 3:27 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. Much appreciated. When you write "Most commonly users build sections in separate projects, then copy/paste and export", do you recommend creating a compound clip of the project I'm moving or would you recommend just copying and pasting the clips to the master project?

Also, if I have a project with extensive masks, animations, etc, would you recommend rendering the effect-heavy clip rather than copying and pasting it, so that it doesn't slow down rendering of the master clip?

What is the best codec for rendering a Rec.709 Master file in FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.