All my INBOX @me.com emails suddenly disappeared. Also the iCloud TRASH folder has gone missing too. Any help welcomed.

At the time I wasn't using the mail program. I have tried all the hints and help I could find but to no avail. when I did a search the results showed emails in the TRASH folder but that is no longer there! I have an iPhone, iPad Air and MacBook Air - all three have the same problem.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 15, 2024 9:20 PM

7 replies

May 16, 2024 7:17 PM in response to helenarob

Despite the fact it has not been running for a few days, try restoring those messages from Time Machine. To do that, launch the Mail app first so that it is the frontmost app.

• If Mail is running in full screen mode, exit full screen mode and resize the Mail message viewer window so it doesn't occupy the Mac's entire screen. This step ought to be optional, but it was a bug a while ago that has since been fixed.

Then, "Enter Time Machine". Give it a few minutes to load. Ten or fifteen minutes ought to be sufficient unless you have a great number of Mail messages (hundreds). Navigate to the Inbox with the missing messages, and scroll "back in time" to determine if you can restore any of those missing messages. Be patient. If you think TM is stuck, try navigating forward or back again.

Please me know what you determine.

It may interest you to know that I experienced a similar event sometime in the past week or so. An email message spontaneously disappeared on its own. Just one message, but it was nowhere to be found. This caused me some concern, but I surmised I must have inadvertently deleted it — despite the fact it wasn't in any Trash folder. Like you I checked all my Macs, each iPhone, etc. It simply vanished.

This was inexplicable, and I wrote it off as some kind of fluke. Perhaps I simply hallucinated receiving an email that was never sent. Who knows.

Then... it happened again. Yesterday. One email message that I was 100% certain I did not delete simply disappeared. No longer willing to write it off as a fluke, I managed to retrieve it (as well as the earlier one) from Time Machine.

Those email messages weren't particularly important, but needless to say these two events got my attention. To my knowledge it is not possible for a remote server to reach into a Mac and remove an email message that had already been downloaded into the Mail app. This is possible on Windows systems, but not on Macs. Not yet anyway.

For now I suspect something went awry with iCloud, which we can do nothing about and for which Apple is certain to remain silent. If it happens again, be ready. Use Time Machine.

May 16, 2024 5:14 AM in response to helenarob

I understand that all your email messages in iCloud.com mail spontaneously disappeared. You tried accessing them from various devices and they're not there. They are not in Trash, or Junk, or anywhere else; they simply vanished from all those devices. Is all of that correct?

Is there anything in common with those messages? For example, if they were all from the same sender (or different senders using the same email server) it may be a clue.

Do you recall if all those messages were addressed to you@me.com or were they addressed to you@iCloud.com? This is almost certain to be unrelated, but on rare occasions some email service providers reject me.com while iCloud.com is ok. Again I'm way out in left field with that idea but it may be another clue.

I have suggestions but they are predicated on using the Mac's Mail app and Time Machine on your MacBook Air, so big question first:

Did you turn on Time Machine?

May 16, 2024 8:41 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks or your suggestions John. This morning I spent almost two hours messaging and then on the phone with Apple. Finally, they were able to recover 1440 messages to my email! If these will include all those that disappeared two days ago, only time will tell as I go through them. Time Machine wasn't helpful as I had only backed up on 8th May! My fault! We also managed to create a new ALL TRASH folder under the FAVOURITES. So, I now have to go through 1440 emails checking if they are in my folders or need deleting!

Thanks again.

All my INBOX @me.com emails suddenly disappeared. Also the iCloud TRASH folder has gone missing too. Any help welcomed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.