Slow start up iMac Monterey SED_CORE Overiding init

Hi,

I have an Imac Retina 5K 27" 2020 running Monterey 12.7.5

It has become very slow booting up.

The progress bar moves for about 1min20secs and then stops for 3 minutes.

When it does boot the Bluetooth devices do not work for several minutes.

I booted it in Verbose mode and the statement

SED_CORE: init : Overiding init

is repeated continually hundreds of times.

The system.log extract is below. It stops between 15:27 and 15:31 with lots of ASL messages before.

Any ideas please?

May 16 15:27:44 localhost syslogd[149]: Configuration Notice:

ASL Module "com.apple.cdscheduler" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.authd" sharing output destination "/var/log/asl" with ASL Module "com.apple.asl".

Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.asl" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.authd".

Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.asl" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.authd".

ASL Module "com.apple.performance" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.iokit.power" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.contacts.ContactsAutocomplete" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.mkb" sharing output destination "/private/var/log/keybagd.log" with ASL Module "com.apple.mkb.internal".

Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.mkb.internal" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.mkb".

ASL Module "com.apple.mkb" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.MessageTracer" claims selected messages.

May 16 15:27:44 localhost Installer Progress[146]: Progress UI App Starting

May 16 15:27:44 localhost syslogd[149]: ASL Sender Statistics

May 16 15:31:45 10-0-0-103 Installer Progress[146]: 1 Boot windows acquired

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 15, 2024 11:26 PM

16 replies

May 16, 2024 2:01 AM in response to AspirationI

Disconnect ALL External Drives

To avoid the question / answer and question answer scenario

Download the Application Etrecheck ( External Link ) directly from the Developer.

The Application is Not a " Silver Bullet " but only a tool to examine the Hardware / Software used on this computer 

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid for added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon  <<<<

Lastly - should you decide to use and post the Report now or at a later time, we are willing to have a very close look and offer some insights 

May 19, 2024 5:04 PM in response to BDAqua

Wow! Find Any File is my new best friend. Although Etrecheck said "seagate" was all gone, Find Any File found eleven of them in places I have never heard of. I removed 7 and that took a minute off the boot time. The repeating log messages are still there though.

However there are 4 I can't remove. I tried CMD-I and increasing the permissions but it won't let me remove them. Two of the 4 are inside two others but I need to remove

MacintoshHD/Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/SeagateDiskService.kext and

MacintoshHD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/AuxKC/CurrentAuxKC/StashedExtensions/ (long name) /SeagateDiskService.kext

How can I do this please?

BTW, this app also found lots of other old things that should be gone.

Bob

May 16, 2024 3:50 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, I have been a way down that road. I have disconnected all drives, done a Safe Mode, been through the Applicartions and Library and User Library and removed all old Application Support, Preferences, Printers, Extensions I am not using. No change to the boot time but at least now the bluetooth is working on startup. It is the time before I login that is the issue. Note that VMware, Drobo and Apple Aperture are programmes that I use all the time and that is why I am still on Monterey. Etrecheck is attached as Additional text.

May 18, 2024 7:45 PM in response to AspirationI

The Seagate software never installed any drivers (or at least did not activate the drivers) since I don't see anything related to Seagate in the EtreCheck report. I also don't see any of the typical software issues although you do have some items installed which I am unfamiliar since I am not a macOS software expert. You can try uninstalling the Seagate software to see if that resolves the problem. Use the Seagate uninstaller or follow Seagate's instructions for uninstalling the software. I guess you could also check the Privacy & Security System Settings to see if you may need to approve the drivers to be loaded. You need to do this when first installing drivers and sometimes after a macOS update as well (even some Apple drivers may need approval after an OS update patch....I've seen this occur a few times with recent versions of macOS Ventura & Sonoma).

I am most concerned about all those "ProxiedDevice-Bridge" panic listed (over 200). Those errors are usually associated with a hardware issue with the Logic Board since they are referencing the T2 security chip. You can attempt to perform a DFU firmware Revive which will reset the T2 security chip & system firmware. If you continue to receive more of those "ProxiedDevice-Bridge" panics, then most likely the Logic Board is bad although you could try a clean install of macOS (I would perform the DFU firmware Restore followed by the reinstallation of macOS).

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

Personally I am not sure it is worth repairing any of these Apple USB-C Intel Macs since the 2018-2020 Intel Macs tend to have a much higher rate of Logic Board failures than older models due to the T2 security chip. The price for a repair I believe is much better put towards a new computer since a repair will be expensive anyway.

Plus many times the Apple Diagnostics (even the Apple service diagnostics) may not report any problems even when a hardware issue exists. This makes it difficult to get Apple to consider a repair unless you have the issue after a clean install of macOS (fully erase the physical internal SSD followed by reinstalling macOS, but not installing any third party software, nor restoring from a backup, nor signing into your AppleID/iCloud).

FYI, in the future please make sure your pictures are in the correct orientation when posting here since I usually avoid analyzing pictures that are sideways or upside down. You can easily rotate the pictures on an iPhone/iPad by using the instructions in this Apple article (I assume Android devices will a similar ability). You can also delete a picture before clicking the "Post" button & attaching a properly oriented picture.

Edit photos and videos on iPhone - Apple Support

May 18, 2024 3:47 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi, thanks for your help.

I am a photographer and the Thunderbolt drive has all of my work and the USB drive is a timemachine backup and there are several so I can't really afford all Thunderbolt.

However I disconnected all of the drives and the bootup takes the same time.

I managed to capture screen shots of the verbose boot up and it shows the following repeated

"Couldn't allocate class com_seagate_IOSED01" and

"kext.com.seagate"

I searched for both of these in Finder and Etrechecker and found the LaCie Toolkit Installer which I removed.

This was installed at about the time things went wrong.

Unfortunately this has not cured the problem.

There is clearly some relic of seagate still present.

I attach screen shots of the boot errors.

May 17, 2024 1:03 AM in response to AspirationI

AspirationI wrote:

Thanks, I have been a way down that road. I have disconnected all drives, done a Safe Mode, been through the Applicartions and Library and User Library and removed all old Application Support, Preferences, Printers, Extensions I am not using. No change to the boot time but at least now the bluetooth is working on startup. It is the time before I login that is the issue. Note that VMware, Drobo and Apple Aperture are programmes that I use all the time and that is why I am still on Monterey. Etrecheck is attached as Additional text.
<Etrecheck.log>

Having looked at the report in detail, coupled with " Thanks, I have been a way down that road "

This is one heavily configured machine with at least two external drives attached, as per the report

Can only image what these drive maybe used for

Then, can basically already know what the answer /suggestion might be - right .

The machine can support >>

Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports and invest in two external drives that support thunderbolt 3

May 18, 2024 10:36 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks.

I installed the LaCie Toolkit about the time things went wrong. When I discovered it did nothing useful I trashed it. Since learning that Seagate owns LaCie I went back and installed it and then uninstalled it properly. Unfortunately that has not helped. I have searched everywhere and can't find any com.seagate files.

This machine was purchased new in 2021 but has never been great. It has loads of RAMS but I doubt it was ever faster than the 2013 model it replaced. It has been back to Apple and they found nothing wrong, but I will certainly try that firmware restore.

My apologies on the picture. It seemed OK, possibly because the phone auto rotates them. However it just the same two lines repeated a thousand times.

May 19, 2024 7:26 PM in response to AspirationI

AspirationI wrote:

Wow! Find Any File is my new best friend. Although Etrecheck said "seagate" was all gone, Find Any File found eleven of them in places I have never heard of. I removed 7 and that took a minute off the boot time. The repeating log messages are still there though.
However there are 4 I can't remove. I tried CMD-I and increasing the permissions but it won't let me remove them. Two of the 4 are inside two others but I need to remove
MacintoshHD/Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/SeagateDiskService.kext and
MacintoshHD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/AuxKC/CurrentAuxKC/StashedExtensions/ (long name) /SeagateDiskService.kext
How can I do this please?

I’m sorry that EtreCheck wasn’t able to help. EtreCheck only lists components that are loaded by the system or potentially loadable. It looks like this extension was in some kind of unloadable zombie state. I’ve never seen this before. EtreCheck doesn’t normally go looking directly in those folders. It asks the system for a list of extensions. Since your extension never actually gets loaded, it never gets listed.

My recommendation is to erase the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Slow start up iMac Monterey SED_CORE Overiding init

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.