Why do iDevices power on to charge?

If I plug in my dead iPad or iPhone, after a few minutes it powers on and boots. Why does it do this? My Android phone will stay off until I press and hold the side button.

Posted on May 16, 2024 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2024 2:18 AM

The iDevice software is essential for safe and effective charging. Apple uses intelligent charging with the battery condition monitored and controlled by the device into which it is installed. The thing connected to the wall socket which you think of as "the charger" is now simply a power adaptor delivering Volts and Amps to the real charger which is part of your Apple device and is controlled by the device software for smart charging. The old days when you simply connected a dumb charging adaptor and left it for 12-14 hours are long gone.

It is likely your other smart devices are also awake and software working, but their design allows a minimal startup for charging only without fully activating the display. The thought of uncontrolled dumb charging with a Lithium battery is simply too scary to have it any other way.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2024 2:18 AM in response to theteeg

The iDevice software is essential for safe and effective charging. Apple uses intelligent charging with the battery condition monitored and controlled by the device into which it is installed. The thing connected to the wall socket which you think of as "the charger" is now simply a power adaptor delivering Volts and Amps to the real charger which is part of your Apple device and is controlled by the device software for smart charging. The old days when you simply connected a dumb charging adaptor and left it for 12-14 hours are long gone.

It is likely your other smart devices are also awake and software working, but their design allows a minimal startup for charging only without fully activating the display. The thought of uncontrolled dumb charging with a Lithium battery is simply too scary to have it any other way.

May 16, 2024 4:32 AM in response to theteeg

This has always been a feature of iPad and iPhone. If the device is fully shut-down, it will automatically restart when connected to an external power source - such as a compatible Power Adapter, or computer via a USB connection.

Should you choose to do so, you can shut-down the device - and it will remain shut down while automatically charging the device battery.

Unless you don’t intend to use your iPad for many days, there is neither need nor technical benefit in fully shutting-down the iPad; while sleeping, the iPad can continue to perform background housekeeping - including responding to notifications and alerts etc - while consuming minimal battery power. A sleeping iPad can easily sustain a week or more without requiring recharge.

May 16, 2024 4:03 PM in response to theteeg

As described, your iPad or its battery may have a fault - or the battery is reaching the end of its useable lifespan.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

May 16, 2024 11:58 AM in response to theteeg

@Branta_uk @LotusPilot I ask because when the battery is drained to the point where it shuts down, without the highest rated charger, it boot cycles and fails to charge. Even with a 100W charger, it would only charge using the highest speed USB-C port on the charger. With USB-A, it boots, stays on for ~30 sec, then dies. The charger isn't enough to keep the iPad alive after the boot cycle.

I left it on the slow charger, boot cycling to see if it was getting a little charge each cycle and might stop booting. It didn't and it started to warm up. So I charged it to 30% with fastest charge port, then switched to a slower charger and it charged fine.

Not only does it not charge, but I suspect it's damaging the battery and that just should not happen. They could have it shutdown with enough charge left to say alive charging with a slow charger, 2%? 5%? 10%?

Alternitively, they could build in a safe conservative dumb charger to charge it to 5% before booting.

I feel better having gotten that out of my system. 😉

Why do iDevices power on to charge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.