CarPlay Wifi Not Allowing Searching

Just lately CarPlay Wifi will not allow searching like in Maps or even just generic search on my phone. Very annoying and sad that I cant use Siri even to search in Maps while driving or parked. I have to turn off the wifi in order to search on my phone. I have tried many things like rebooting, using a USB port to reset. I have no problem getting into CarPlay but its very frustrating not to at least be able to use the Maps as it was intended for and very annoying when park, I always have to turn off CarPlay to use my phone to search. Any advice out there?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on May 16, 2024 12:34 PM

1 reply

May 16, 2024 6:20 PM in response to cindyg57

Wondering whether you are still using iOS 11 on your iPhone 6 Plus: If so, you can likely update to the newest compatible iOS 12 version: try Settings > General > Software Updates

(About iOS 12 Updates - Apple Support says iOS 12.5.7 is the latest)

Also wondering what happens if you follow Apple support's guidance in their (link below) article:

(NB: Is for iOS 17, or, for accurate info. choose your iOS version at the top of the article

Use your vehicle’s built-in controls to control CarPlay - Apple Support

Eg: For iOS 17 says:

(1)  You can also search for a location, use locations you saved as favorites and in collections, and find nearby attractions and services.

Siri: Say something like:

• “Find a gas station”
  • “Give me directions home”
  • “Take me to the Golden Gate Bridge”
  • “Find a charging station”
  • “Find coffee near me”

______

"Or (2)

you can use your vehicle’s built-in controls to open Maps in CarPlay and select a route.

Note: If you’re viewing CarPlay Dashboard and Maps doesn’t appear in the recent apps list on the left, tap  to see pages of all of your CarPlay apps, including Maps.

1. With Maps open in CarPlay,
  • Select Search, then select  to speak a search phrase, or select to use the onscreen keyboard (if available). You can also select a destination from a category of nearby services, such as Parking or Restaurants."

There are more CarPlay tips in the above linked article.

All the best :-)

CarPlay Wifi Not Allowing Searching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.