Transfer data to new iPad

Is transferring data to a new iPad (using iOS17 from an older iPad (using iOS15) faster with (a) a direct iPad-iPad transfer, or (b) a transfer from iCloud?

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 16, 2024 12:50 PM

4 replies

May 16, 2024 3:11 PM in response to cint21

The time required to perform the transfer will be determined by many factors, including but not limited to:

• how much data must be transferred between devices
  • if using an iCloud backup, the speed/throughput of your internet connection
  • the speed/throughput of your WiFi network
  • server loading; assuming an iCloud backup, Apple’s regional servers may be busy

Assuming that your WiFi network is faster than your internet connection - and you wish to complete the transfer process as quickly as possible - a direct transfer using QuickStart will be the quickest method to complete the process. While QuickStart is running, you may need to respond to system prompts during the transfer process.

Restoring from an iCloud backup is ideal where a hands-off restore (perhaps overnight) is preferred - or if your don't have access to the source device (perhaps the device has been lost or stolen - or the device is non-functional).

May 16, 2024 1:46 PM in response to cint21

It is a matter of choice which route to take. I noticed a time estimate for both routes when I set up my new iPad yesterday. The Apple Store worker who was discussing it with me offered the opinion that iCloud is probably faster if you want to get the new device into a basic usable condition. Unless you have a massive amount of data to transfer the difference is unlikely to be significant.

The iCloud route seems to do a basic load of iPadOS and critical functions like cards for Apple Pay then gives you control and a working iPad, but the bulk data like photos and Messages gets background download later maybe even overnight . The direct transfer method from the old device will pass all your data before it gives you any control so it will usually be slower to give you control but might be quicker for final completion.

One hint if you are transferring Apple Pay cards. It will probably want to send a one time message (SMS) to authenticate the new device. The message is time sensitive, often only valid for minutes so it times out before you can read it and enter the code in Wallet. I have found it works better to skip Apple Pay in the initial setup, then go back and add your cards manually after you have completed the setup and tested your iPad to see everything works.

Transfer data to new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.