Recycling Old Tech

Hello,

I was wondering how many devices I could take to my local Apple Store for recycling. I have an iPad 4th gen, 2 iPad mini 1st gen, iPad mini 5th gen, Lenovo N22 Chromebook and 2 HP Computers.

I also have a few backup batteries and power cords.

Would Apple accept these? I know I may not get anything from them but I would just like them recycled.

Thanks for your help!

Posted on May 16, 2024 4:29 PM

3 replies

May 16, 2024 4:36 PM in response to garrettfromtiffin

According to Apple Trade In:

Recycling

• Does Apple offer recycling?
  • Yes. Apple Trade In lets you recycle any Apple device at an Apple Store location and on apple.com for free. Items accepted for recycling include the device as well as batteries, cables, cases, monitors, packaging and more. Free recycling is available to our commercial, education, and institutional customers. When we receive your device, it will be thoroughly inspected and assessed for reuse or recycling. Whether recycled or reused, all activities relating to the processing of your device will be managed in an environmentally responsible way.

May 17, 2024 11:39 AM in response to garrettfromtiffin

I also have a few backup batteries ...

You probably need to ask Apple, not other end users (us). On the page Ferd II links are FAQs, and this FAQ language:

• Does Apple offer recycling?

• Yes. Apple Trade In lets you recycle any Apple device at an Apple Store location and on apple.com for free. Items accepted for recycling include the device as well as batteries, cables, cases, monitors, packaging and more. Free recycling is available to our commercial, education, and institutional customers. When we receive your device, it will be thoroughly inspected and assessed for reuse or recycling. Whether recycled or reused, all activities relating to the processing of your device will be managed in an environmentally responsible way.

suggests to me that "batteries" refers to the battery in the device. Batteries from a backup power supplies a usually lead-acid and likely don't have the same recycling processes as lithium-based batters used in phones, tablets, and computers.

Apple will know.

👉🏻 If Apple does not take them, try Staples. Among the battery types they accept, "Small sealed lead acid (SSLA/Pb)" are listed.

Their comprehensive list of what they accept is here: https://www.staples.com/stores/recycling

Recycling Old Tech

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.