Apple TV Remote Washing Machine

I have the most current Apple TV remote, it went through the washer, and it’s obviously not working out.

Has anyone had experience with this, and did it start working again after it dried out?

my plan is to just use my phone, to control the Apple TV, for a week or two and see if it dries out and starts working. But I can imagine it’s gone.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on May 16, 2024 4:38 PM

2 replies

May 16, 2024 5:27 PM in response to Nogard2008

Well, a washing machine is a rather drastic environment for any electronic device as the water was forced into the device. Place it in a well ventilated area for a couple of days but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If it no longer works, consider getting a replacement: Siri Remote - Apple. The Remote app on the iPhone cannot do all that the remote can, especially if you have to reset the Apple TV device.

May 17, 2024 1:13 AM in response to Nogard2008

Most likely the water got inside and short-circuited the battery. A fixed rechargeable battery may not recover from that. That means unrepairable by Apple standards. Trapped water inside may evaporate more slowly, causing oxidation of the electronics, and thereby permanent damage to the circuitry. Drying out almost never works for these types of products. Water damage is not covered by warranty/​Apple Care+, so support staff will likely advise to buy a new replacement remote.

Apple TV Remote Washing Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.