Decreasing storage for new computer transfer

2013 MacBook Air needs replacing. I want to avoid buying lots of storage (for obsolete files). Assuming photos/videos hog all the storage, but I have alot of documents etc that I don't need. What files are best to delete before buying a new computer, so my new computer won't be transferring useless files?

May be dumb question: does storing photos in a Document File decrease the storage footprint, or do I need to sort through those too?

I don't use iCloud. Topped out at Monterey 12.75. Thank you!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 16, 2024 5:28 PM

11 replies

May 19, 2024 1:16 PM in response to vesta822

vesta822 wrote:

Roger that. "shortname": do you mean my name (as admin?) or password? MA video I watched seemed to suggest a new log in pw for the new computer, vs using the same one I used for the old computer. Do you agree?

The shortname is the name of your home folder, and both that shortname and your full name can be used as your login in.

Per Apple: When you set up your Mac, you entered your full name and created an account name. The account name is sometimes called a short name because it’s usually a shorter version of your full name or a name you created. When asked for your user name—for example, in the login window or when connecting for file sharing or screen sharing—you can enter either your full name or your account name. The account name is used by your Mac to keep track of all your files and information. Because of this, the account name is permanent; you cannot change it without creating a completely new user.

My username on a Mac might be MrHoffman, and my shortname might be mrh, for instance.

And 'log in directory' what is this?

This is your home directory. This is the directory that you end up in when you first log in.

When I log in after restart etc, my name pops up and I use a pw. Is my name in this case the 'log in directory'? Or is 'name + mba" which is what I call my computer. I am hoping this is all pretty intuitive!

Mac is multi-user, so you can have multiple logins. Each login has a full name, and a short name (account name), and either can be used to log in. Each user also has a home or login directory.

Apple calls the shortname the account name here:

Contrary to the “can’t change it” statement in the above, here is how to change the short name / shortname / account name:

Shortname or short name is seemingly older jargon (ah, well) for the account name, per:

Here is how the file system is organized, including how the various users’ home or login directories are organized:

Just fyi: I attempted to lookup 'log in directory' for a definition, but that just confused me more.)

May 17, 2024 10:09 AM in response to vesta822

If or when you purchase a new computer.

I am suggesting Not Migrating Everything from the Older Computer, for the reasons already presented.

Refer to link below on that specific method

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant

The only element, if you choose to do so, would to use Setup Assist on the very very first boot up. ( not a typo error >> importance )

Then, Migrate Only your User Account and nothing more

This should insure there is very little if any Pollution on the new computer

As for purging the older computer

My more Learned colleague @BDAqua has you covered very well with OmniDiskSweeper

May 19, 2024 12:16 PM in response to vesta822

vesta822 wrote:

Hi PRP_53:
thank you! I watched the Migration Asst video on how to use it. Re. 'Setup Assist': are you recommending this? If yes, where would I find this (?system preferences or under Finder?). Please clarify what you meant above boy ("not a typo error>>>importance).

Migration Assistant and Setup Assistance are—in terms of the migration of your data—identical.

Migration Assistant happens after initial install.

Setup Assistant happens at first startup after purchase, or happens at first startup after a new macOS install.

Finally I assume by 'user account' you refer to one of the very last steps in MA when it asked where to transfer data from, I click on my user name and pw from the old computer (if it asks) or the new computer pw if it asks where transfer is to.

Yep. Usually the shortname of the data to be migrated.

Where folks get in trouble here is the use of the same shortname in the nee environment. Folks are hard-wired and absolutely laser-focused on always using the same shortname in the new as was used in the old, and also too often hard-wired to charge ahead and populate the new environment with “stuff” before running Migration Assistant, and that usage and that sequence then conflicts with the later migration.

That same shortname usage works with Setup Assistant though, as the new environment doesn’t exist then.

With Migration Assistant, there’s no merge function.

The shortname is the name of your login directory.

The shortname can be changed, though that change requires following the Apple documentation correctly. The “obvious” approach of renaming the login directory most definitely does not work.

May 17, 2024 8:19 AM in response to vesta822

vesta822 wrote:

2013 MacBook Air needs replacing. I want to avoid buying lots of storage (for obsolete files). Assuming photos/videos hog all the storage, but I have alot of documents etc that I don't need. What files are best to delete before buying a new computer, so my new computer won't be transferring useless files?

May be dumb question: does storing photos in a Document File decrease the storage footprint, or do I need to sort through those too?

I don't use iCloud. Topped out at Monterey 12.75. Thank you!

Part 1 of 2

To allow for user ( you ) present usages and to Future Proof the computer for future user habits

Depending on how deep your pockets are, purchase a new computer with at least 2x greater Drive Capacity than the current older machine

Remember, new Apple Computer have the SSD Drive and RAM Soldered to the Logicboard

Meaning, once purchased - there ends any further upgrades to the Hardware.

Part 2 of 2

One Size does Not fit All 

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 / M3 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success.

Others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

Apple Silicon  Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Sonoma / Ventura / Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

May 17, 2024 9:52 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I don't understand at all what you are saying...not your fault, mine, for not be technically literate in these situations. I am quite alarmed by the potential for 'polluting' a new very $$$ MacBook.

Can you recommend how best for me to go about decreasing current file storage and transferring so as not to 'pollute'?

Thank you.

May 19, 2024 11:53 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi PRP_53:

thank you! I watched the Migration Asst video on how to use it. Re. 'Setup Assist': are you recommending this? If yes, where would I find this (?system preferences or under Finder?). Please clarify what you meant above boy ("not a typo error>>>importance).

Finally I assume by 'user account' you refer to one of the very last steps in MA when it asked where to transfer data from, I click on my user name and pw from the old computer (if it asks) or the new computer pw if it asks where transfer is to.

Very much appreciate your good guidance.

May 19, 2024 12:31 PM in response to MrHoffman

Roger that. "shortname": do you mean my name (as admin?) or password? MA video I watched seemed to suggest a new log in pw for the new computer, vs using the same one I used for the old computer. Do you agree?

And 'log in directory' what is this? When I log in after restart etc, my name pops up and I use a pw. Is my name in this case the 'log in directory'? Or is 'name + mba" which is what I call my computer. I am hoping this is all pretty intuitive!

(Just fyi: I attempted to lookup 'log in directory' for a definition, but that just confused me more.)

Decreasing storage for new computer transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.