How to selectively route traffic on macOS 14.5 for VPN and Plex?

Hello. I am trying to figure out (or at least learn) how to selectively route traffic to the internet natively on macOS. I am currently running macOS 14.5 with several ‘media’ apps (Starr suite), Plex, etc. Before worrying over the specifics of all that I would like to focus on routing traffic on macOS 14.5 possibly by network interface or another suitable method. 

I would eventually like, for example, to put the whole system behind a VPN (with Plex exception to follow) on WiFi interface (WiFi IP) except Plex - keeping Plex ‘in front of’ VPN on Ethernet interface only (Ethernet IP). 

Is this possible? I scoured the internet today and found several articles, forum posts, etc about ‘add routing’ but these didn’t start at an early enough point for my limited networking knowledge. 

Thank you!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 19, 2024 1:51 PM

8 replies

May 19, 2024 2:15 PM in response to rothnd

A Mac makes a comparatively expensive and awkward IP router, if that is where you’re headed.

As for some of the available mechanisms for controlling activities and routing, options, Apple builds pf into macOS, and (separately) Apple also uses eBPF for some tasks. pf is pretty handy for adjusting what foes where.

Static routes also work. More info:

networksetup -help
networksetup -printcommands
sudo route -n add 198.51.100.0/24 203.0.113.1

I’m skeptical around VPNs generally, save for connecting into the internal network of an affiliated organization, and for geoshifting for CDN testing and such. If you’re not interested in having your metadata harvested as I’d expect happens with too many of the (over-hyped) commercial VPN providers, have a look at running your own Algo server.

If you don’t want to roll your own local network infrastructure, have a look at Ubiquiti gear. Not cheap, but is very flexible and capable and well-integrated. I’d generally look to offload routing activities to a (the) local IP router (firewall, router, gateway, NAT), with the (incoming) VPN server embedded with the same box serving NAT, and (if needed) the local Layer 3 (-ish) switch, rather than trying to manage that locally.

Offloading IP routing activities to a switch or gateway / router / firewall / NAT box means you also don’t risk clobbering all connectivity to or from your Mac, if some rule is “wrong”. At least your Mac still works, and you can (potentially) (more easily) reset the box with the “creative” routing.

You might want to check with the folks running the Plex servers as well, as I’m less familiar with configuring the IP traffic associated with those servers.

May 19, 2024 5:24 PM in response to rothnd

rothnd wrote:

I’m sure I’m barely touching the capabilities of my router (again lack of knowledge) but could I somehow take care of routes per IP all from there? Even though it’s 2 IPs to the same machine?

If the IP packet traffic is destined for different IP ports, most routers, firewalls, and packet filters with layer 3 access can adjust the path used for traffic, either through static routes, or more generally through quality of service settings, or otherwise.

May 19, 2024 5:26 PM in response to rothnd

rothnd wrote:

It seems like maybe I can add the VPN config to my router (Netgear Nighthawk XR500) and say which interface to use it or not (maybe), but then the question is how do I tell the Mac to use this interface for this and that interface for that? Trying to generalize a little.

I’m unfamiliar with that router.

IP works per the packet, and each packet is its own decisions, both from the client to the server, and the completely separate routing decisions that arise from the remote server back to the client. Echpacket can potentially take a different path.

May 19, 2024 5:35 PM in response to rothnd

rothnd wrote:

Sorry for more but reading up on the router and I wonder if it would be better/more feasible to use the router to VPN but exclude the one port (Plex port) from that instead of worrying over IP/interface?

I’m not entirely sure what network configuration you’re headed for here.

Whether your particular router can initiate a VPN connection to a remote server, I don’t know. Mid- and upper-end routers can have that feature. Or you might end up establishing that VPN from the client device.

I’d suggest discussing customized routing with the folks that know connectivity what Plex and the other apps involved might require, if that’s your central goal here.

May 19, 2024 6:03 PM in response to MrHoffman

I hear ya. Well, just with initial playing here I was able to get the router to establish the VPN connection. So much so in fact, it blocked my previously opened/forwarded port for Plex. It was blocked even though in my router I could say ‘put the Mac behind the VPN, but exclude xxxxx’. Any thoughts why it would do that?

The router offers this Hybrid VPN thing where I can stipulate that such IP should be behind leaving source port start end destination port start end in front. I put the same xxxxx in those 4 places with TCP/UDP Protocol. See anything fishy about that?

How to selectively route traffic on macOS 14.5 for VPN and Plex?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.