Sonoma - Won’t Print PDF’s natively on Canon Printer

Here we go again.

In Sonoma and maybe latter iterations of its predecessor PDF’s will not print natively via Preview etc on my Canon printer.

JPGs print fine. Text Edit docs print fine. Pages docs print fine. And so on.

Uninstalled the printer and re- added. No change.

Haven’t used Acrobat in years. Seems like Acrobat users having similar problems with various printers.

Mac mini, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 20, 2024 7:32 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2024 9:42 AM in response to Peter Cashman

It would help to know your model number of your Canon printer.

Make sure your have the latest drivers from Canon's website.

Make sure your setup your Page Setup to print at 100% and not scaled.

Make sure it is centered and no extra margins. Use the print preview to verify how it will appear before printing.

Some PDFs still print better in Adobe Acrobat Reader than Mac OS Preview simply because they use additional bells and whistles not included in the open source Adobe Acrobat layout.

May 20, 2024 5:20 PM in response to a brody

Thank you mate. It’s an MF4100 series and only just stopped printing PDFs.

I actually downloaded the driver for MF 4150 as they don’t offer drivers for the 4100 series. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet as I had to go out of town today. Couldn’t print my ticket!

I’d always used the driver that comes up via Apple’s list of Canon drivers. Could well be out of date.

I always use the 100% setting and preview it etc. All that works. It just ends up sitting in the queue and not printing.

May go back to Acrobat but it seems a slew of their users have had problems.

Thanks for the advice!

It's rare I get stumped after 26 years on Macs.

Sonoma - Won’t Print PDF’s natively on Canon Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.