Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upload my movie library to apple tv?

So, I recently replaced my android minix neo u1 box with an apple tv 4k since I have apple echo system. The reason I originaly purcharsed android instead of apple was because the minix box has multiple USB connections, allowing me to connect an external hardrive where I have a large movie library. I recently read that it was possible to load my films to the apple TV app and they would sync across my devices. Now, what I've come to realize unfortunately, is that my macbook air from 2011 does not allow me to have the apple TV app or have the option for media sharing, only file sharing. My computer works perfectly fine and have no ned to replace it, especialy when apple is only offering 150$ for a trade in, yet models similar to mine are being sold for over 500$ refurbished. The only reason I use a TV box is to avoid draining the extended batery life of my other devices through airplay or connecting my computer to the TV, like I used to do. Anyone have a fix or should I just return my apple TV and go back to android?

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 9:25 AM

you can't store media on the appletv box it's storage are for apps only

one can access the shared lib of itunes / apple tv+ on a computer and various apps will let you stream of NAS boxes such as synology and plex enabled servers.

This is a user

helping other users with tech questions forum, you are not addressing apple

here  just  fellow users

if you wish to contact apple then https://getsupport.apple.com/

if you wish to provide them with feedback then Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2021 9:25 AM in response to MJ_21

you can't store media on the appletv box it's storage are for apps only

one can access the shared lib of itunes / apple tv+ on a computer and various apps will let you stream of NAS boxes such as synology and plex enabled servers.

This is a user

helping other users with tech questions forum, you are not addressing apple

here  just  fellow users

if you wish to contact apple then https://getsupport.apple.com/

if you wish to provide them with feedback then Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Mar 28, 2021 12:09 AM in response to vazandrew

Yes - Homesharing from iTunes on older Macs should work for streaming the videos to an Apple TV running the Computers app.

However you will need to register the vidoes (movies etc) with iTunes on the Mac. For videos not purchased from the iTunes Store this can be complicated. If you have them on an external hard disk you need to go through these steps, or similar*:

1. Go to iTunes advanced preferences and make sure "copy files to library" is unchecked (this avoids filling your Mac hard disk with video files)
  2. Using Finder, drag the movie files (or folders) from the hard disk to the iTunes window
  3. They should now appear as Home Videos in iTunes
  4. Select the videos in iTunes and right click to select Video Info
  5. Change the video type to Movies (3rd tab) and then assign a genre (1st tab)

Now the movies should appear in the Apple TV Computers app (assuming Homesharing is turned on in iTunes)

I use this (somewhat tedious) process every few days.

• Note that the menus/windows/selections described above change with versions of macOS.

Mar 27, 2021 9:31 AM in response to Rudegar

I’m aware that this is a user community. I contacted Apple already but just thought I’d reach out to the community in case someone had some knowledgeable tips. I know the box only has apps, but I had read that I could upload my media to the tv app. I did so via my phone, but still does not show on the tv box. Since my computer still works with iTunes (2011 MacBook Air), it’s not compatible.

Mar 27, 2021 12:18 PM in response to MJ_21

That is for Home sharing. The Apple TV app on Mac is simply a replacement for video content that was previously part of iTunes, older models can continue to use iTunes to send a library for Home Sharing. Just go into file - home sharing and make sure it is enabled. You would then use the Computers app on Apple TV to access.

How to upload my movie library to apple tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.