An unknown error occurred. Your changes could not be made what does it mean

I tried putting a payment for my Apple Music after filling all the required information I get a message saying an unknown error occurred.Your changes could not be saved.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 2:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 12:56 PM

Hello.. I have suddenly received messages to verify my payment methods. I have tried all possible ways but when we I enter details it give me “unknown error” . I am unable to delete or add any payment method either as it keeps asking me to verify payment method.

please help

19 replies

Apr 2, 2024 9:37 PM in response to idemudia160

April 2024. My phone won’t download anything from the store cause I have to update my payment method. No method is acceptable if not a « Unknown Error Occurred » Yet Apple isn’t saying anything about this. You must take responsibility of this and fix it. It’s not convenient. There are people who reply on their phone for work purposes day in and out

Nov 11, 2023 9:30 AM in response to Mubeenkmb

Mine too. But apple will blame it on everything else BUT themselves 🤦🏽‍♂️ it’s saying unknown error? Then reset YOUR phone. Delete YOUR data. Call YOUR bank. Check YOUR card. Literally every solution they have is to blame you, your bank or your card. They obviously have issues on THEIR end but can only fix it if it’s your fault somehow… I haven’t had ONE helpful person be able to give me an answer as to why I can’t add a debit card that works everywhere else BUT here

Mar 27, 2024 7:10 AM in response to ExiledRoyal

so how do i fix this??… having the same problem. i need to update an app but it says “update payment method” because im behind on paying for a different subscription, but then my default payment method says “failed” and if i try to delete it- i cant. if i try to add a new one to pay for the one thats holding everything up- “an unknown error has occurred” ?? What the heck? So do i just never solve this issue?

Help!!

Mar 4, 2023 11:50 AM in response to idemudia160

Hello Idemudia160,

We understand that you're receiving an error message when trying to add your payment method. If you already have a payment method on file, add your new card first, then remove the old card. Next, proceed with the following steps:

Restart your iPhone. This steps refreshes your device and the software.

1. "Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.

The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo."

• "Update your payment method on your iPhone or iPad

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Tap Payment & Shipping. You might be asked to sign in with your Apple ID.
  4. Tap Add Payment Method, enter the new payment method, then tap Done.
  5. Tap Edit.
  6. Tap the red delete button next to the old payment method, then tap Delete."

On iPhone, a message says Remove Payment Method.

More detail here: If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. Let us know if this helps.

Best wishes.

Oct 18, 2023 3:41 AM in response to SorNi

I contacted Apple support. I've gone through two support colleagues with screen sharing, reviewing things that may fix it. They made me try resetting settings, disabling advanced system protection(EndtoEnd), logging in through the website and managing payment methods there and still no luck.

I was meant to get a callback today, but instead of actually ringing me, they just sent an email saying couldn't reach you. Going to message support again with my case ID, to see if I can actually get some help.

Oct 18, 2023 4:20 AM in response to Grace2211

*a response to their 'fix'

This method doesn't work, when trying to add a new card, you get an error, saying you have to first verify one of the previous cards. Then trying to verify one of the previous cards, you get 'an unknown error' putting you in a loop.

you cannot delete the cards through 'edit-> remove' puts you through but the card persists and doesn't change.

It happens on more than one device.

Nov 11, 2023 9:24 AM in response to Grace2211

This doesn’t help at all. I’m having the same issue but it won’t let me add ANY form of payment. I’ve tried 4 different cards and they all say the same error message. So I can’t add a payment method to erase the old one because it won’t let me add any payment method. There are funds available, I’ve restarted my phone, I’ve checked the address to make sure it matches, I’ve erased all the data, but nothing works.

An unknown error occurred. Your changes could not be made what does it mean

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.