Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Apple Pencil not connecting even if it appears as connected

My Apple Pencil appears as connected even though it is not working. The tip is fully screwed on, and I’ve restarted my iPad, updated it to the latest version and disconnected and reconnected it multiple times. I have also checked and the battery is 100%. However, when i plug it in to my iPad while it is connected, the bluetooth device says “not connected” for a second, but it turns back to connected. Please tell me how I can fix this issue, it’s been like this for days.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 5:49 AM

What to do if your Apple Pencil is not functioning correctly

When your Apple Pencil becomes unresponsive, there are three methods to restore its functionality with your iPad:

1. Recharge the Apple Pencil's battery
  2. If your Apple Pencil is not working or seems unresponsive, the likely culprit is a depleted battery. Here's how to recharge it:
    • Apple Pencil 1: Connect the Pencil to your iPad.
    • Apple Pencil 2: Attach the Pencil to the side of your iPad.

Allow the Apple Pencil to charge for approximately ten minutes, and then attempt to use it to see if it responds with your iPad.

1. Reestablish the connection between your Apple Pencil and iPad
  2. If charging the Apple Pencil doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to reestablish its connection with your iPad. This can be done in two ways:
    • On your iPad, toggle Bluetooth off and on to reset the connection.
    • Ensure that the nib of your Apple Pencil is securely fastened. If you're using a fine-point ballpoint nib like Rock Paper Pencil, ensure it is twisted all the way onto your Apple Pencil.
  1. Force re-pair the Apple Pencil with your iPad
  2. If the aforementioned methods do not work, you may need to charge the Pencil for at least one hour and then force it to re-pair with your iPad. Here's how:
    • Charge the Apple Pencil as per the instructions provided earlier.
    • Go to the Bluetooth settings on your iPad and remove the Pencil from the list of My Devices by selecting "Forget This Device."
    • Re-pair your Apple Pencil with your iPad by plugging it into the device with Bluetooth enabled and following the pairing dialog that appears.

After successfully re-pairing, test your Apple Pencil to ensure that it is now responsive.

We trust that this guide has been helpful! Once your Apple Pencil is back in action, make sure you have the appropriate accessories to optimize your iPad experience.

[Edited by Moderator]

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2023 5:49 AM in response to thebiggestballsinthesummer

What to do if your Apple Pencil is not functioning correctly

When your Apple Pencil becomes unresponsive, there are three methods to restore its functionality with your iPad:

1. Recharge the Apple Pencil's battery
  2. If your Apple Pencil is not working or seems unresponsive, the likely culprit is a depleted battery. Here's how to recharge it:
    • Apple Pencil 1: Connect the Pencil to your iPad.
    • Apple Pencil 2: Attach the Pencil to the side of your iPad.

Allow the Apple Pencil to charge for approximately ten minutes, and then attempt to use it to see if it responds with your iPad.

1. Reestablish the connection between your Apple Pencil and iPad
  2. If charging the Apple Pencil doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to reestablish its connection with your iPad. This can be done in two ways:
    • On your iPad, toggle Bluetooth off and on to reset the connection.
    • Ensure that the nib of your Apple Pencil is securely fastened. If you're using a fine-point ballpoint nib like Rock Paper Pencil, ensure it is twisted all the way onto your Apple Pencil.
  1. Force re-pair the Apple Pencil with your iPad
  2. If the aforementioned methods do not work, you may need to charge the Pencil for at least one hour and then force it to re-pair with your iPad. Here's how:
    • Charge the Apple Pencil as per the instructions provided earlier.
    • Go to the Bluetooth settings on your iPad and remove the Pencil from the list of My Devices by selecting "Forget This Device."
    • Re-pair your Apple Pencil with your iPad by plugging it into the device with Bluetooth enabled and following the pairing dialog that appears.

After successfully re-pairing, test your Apple Pencil to ensure that it is now responsive.

We trust that this guide has been helpful! Once your Apple Pencil is back in action, make sure you have the appropriate accessories to optimize your iPad experience.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 2, 2024 9:21 AM in response to digital272

I am not sure why this is not part of the instructions for troubleshooting the Apple Pencil USB-C but I purchased a second hand iPad mini 6 and the Apple Pencil USB-C would not even come up as an option under the Bluetooth as an option. I spent all day working on it and charging it like the directions said. I called Apple Support and the customer rep (Shout Out to Erica!) couldn't help at first and then tried to contact the Apple Pencil team who didn't answer.

Then she said: Plug the USB-C chord into the Apple Pencil and then plug it into the iPad directly and Viola! It appeared. NONE of the directions or even on this site said to do that. So I joined the community just to say this.

P.S. Just go ahead and spend the extra money to get the 2nd Generation because I have both and the USB-C is not worth it at all. I don't even understand why they came out with it.

Apple Pencil not connecting even if it appears as connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.