AppleTV+ - Set preference of which streaming app is used to view program.

Let's say I want to watch a program, and that program is available through multiple streaming apps; how do I lock AppleTV+ to use the streaming app that I choose?

Example: Yellowstone is playable thru Hulu, Peacock, and Paramount Network

AppleTV+ always wants to use Hulu but I want to view the program using Paramount Network. (Ads vs no ads)

I can scroll down and manually pick Paramount, but I have to do this every time. And when I do AppleTV+ usually picks the wrong episode to play.

tvOS 16.4.1

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 9:09 PM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2023 6:11 AM in response to _jmhobbs

The Apple TV app keeps track which episodes you have watched, and the content provider that was used for that. It may get confused if you watch episodes out of order, or if you watched some episodes through a secondary content provider, or if the episode numbering differs between content providers, or if you continue when an episode became available from a secondary content provider but not yet from the intended content provider.

Try removing the show from Up Next (click-and-hold the tile, then select Remove). Then continue watching from a connected app, so that it will be added to Up Next again automatically with the intended content provider linking.

As a last resort all of your watch history (account property) can be reset, which would also reset Up Next.

Settings﹥Apps﹥TV app﹥Clear Play History﹥

There currently isn’t a setting to force a chosen content provider. It seems intended to work fluidly for all available content providers. You may give feedback about that.

May 19, 2024 4:05 AM in response to Urquhart1244

This problem has reared it's ugly head again and the above suggestion doesn't fix it.

I had been watching the show "Battlebots" on Max (available since they merged with Discovery networks). Everything was going fine until I got to Season 5. Suddenly, the TV app flagged Battlebots as being on Hulu in "Up Next" - and NO option ("Open in...") for anything else. Thing is, the Hulu stuff is "Discovery on Demand" - and much of that has advertising and I pay for NO advertising. I can still go into Max and watch the show without commercials - but it does NOT update the TV app, even after doing a "Remove from Up Next" and playing the particular episode manually in the Max app.

I don't know if this has anything to do with Hulu's migration to being integrated into the Disney+ app (I have their bundle - again, ad-free) or a Max bug where some shows don't 'talk' to "Up Next" (because other HBO shows like "Last Week Tonight" *do* still show up on schedule) or just apps arguing with each other.

AppleTV+ - Set preference of which streaming app is used to view program.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.