Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

iMessage

1. I see iMessage on my iPhone and on my iPad.
  2. I want to disable iMessage on my iPad, but still see regular test messages (SMS)
  3. I go Settings > Messages > iMessage and turn it off. In this case I cannot use Message app to receive regular test messages (SMS)
  4. I go Settings > Messages > Send and Receive, but in this case I cannot disable both phone number and email

How can I stop receive iMessage on iPad but still have access to Message app to see regular test messages (SMS)?

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 3:01 AM

As understood, for your iPad, you objective is to disable iMessage (blue bubbles) - but still wish to be able to send and receive SMS text (green bubbles).

First, for the benefit of clarity, it may be helpful to outline some basics. You may already understand this, but for the benefit of other readers, it may be useful background…

Messages App

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

However, when used along with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad broaden to include access to the Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features.

As such, without an iPhone, the iPad’s Messages App can only access iMessage (blue bubbles). An iPhone without a Cellular plan is similarly constrained - but with a Cellular plan (as for an iPhone is likely), you have access to SMS/MMS text messaging (green bubbles) for both iPhone and your iPad.

The Messages App will try to use (i.e., prioritise) iMessage (blue bubbles) between Apple device users whenever possible - only using SMS (green) when not connected to a WiFi network that has internet access; SMS is always used when exchanging messages with users of Android or non-Apple devices - or where a WiFi network with an internet connection is not available.

Messages App setup

Set up Messages on iPad - Apple Support

Set up Messages on iPhone - Apple Support

For the iPad to access SMS/MMS (green bubble) messages via the iPhone, both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - and you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

To optionally use MMS, this must also be enabled on the iPhone:

Settings > Messages > MMS Messages - set to ON 

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

When setup correctly, both iPad and iPhone can independently use iMessage - and both can use SMS/MMS via the iPhone. For your iPad to access SMS/MMS, this will always be contingent upon routing these messages via your iPhone. To reiterate an earlier point - an iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features without the iPhone.

Returning to your objective - namely to use just SMS/MMS from the iPad - this might be possible by signing out from the iMessage service, but not iCloud, on your iPad. To sign-out from iMessage on your iPad:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > AppleID > Sign Out

NB: The AppleID field is not immediately obvious. It is found, in very small text that is easy to miss, immediately below the settings entitled Start New Conversations From.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 3:01 AM in response to jeqqard

As understood, for your iPad, you objective is to disable iMessage (blue bubbles) - but still wish to be able to send and receive SMS text (green bubbles).

First, for the benefit of clarity, it may be helpful to outline some basics. You may already understand this, but for the benefit of other readers, it may be useful background…

Messages App

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

However, when used along with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad broaden to include access to the Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features.

As such, without an iPhone, the iPad’s Messages App can only access iMessage (blue bubbles). An iPhone without a Cellular plan is similarly constrained - but with a Cellular plan (as for an iPhone is likely), you have access to SMS/MMS text messaging (green bubbles) for both iPhone and your iPad.

The Messages App will try to use (i.e., prioritise) iMessage (blue bubbles) between Apple device users whenever possible - only using SMS (green) when not connected to a WiFi network that has internet access; SMS is always used when exchanging messages with users of Android or non-Apple devices - or where a WiFi network with an internet connection is not available.

Messages App setup

Set up Messages on iPad - Apple Support

Set up Messages on iPhone - Apple Support

For the iPad to access SMS/MMS (green bubble) messages via the iPhone, both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - and you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

To optionally use MMS, this must also be enabled on the iPhone:

Settings > Messages > MMS Messages - set to ON 

When setup correctly, both iPad and iPhone can independently use iMessage - and both can use SMS/MMS via the iPhone. For your iPad to access SMS/MMS, this will always be contingent upon routing these messages via your iPhone. To reiterate an earlier point - an iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features without the iPhone.

Returning to your objective - namely to use just SMS/MMS from the iPad - this might be possible by signing out from the iMessage service, but not iCloud, on your iPad. To sign-out from iMessage on your iPad:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > AppleID > Sign Out

NB: The AppleID field is not immediately obvious. It is found, in very small text that is easy to miss, immediately below the settings entitled Start New Conversations From.

Apr 28, 2024 5:38 AM in response to Shoggita1967

Shoggita1967 wrote:

I’m not able to make or receive iMessages from my cell phone number it says my phone number is unavailable that I would have to use Sims I took it to my cell phone place were I pay my cell bill at and they tried everything possible over an hour and they weren’t able to fix the issue and I’m having lots of missed calls and messages

Do you have an iPhone - or just an iPad? If exchanging messages with Android or non-Apple devices, you’ll need to use Cellular SMS/MMS messaging.

However, when paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Jun 29, 2023 1:51 AM in response to Ingo2711

I use iPhone with mobile number X and cellular iPad with mobile number Y. Apple ID the same.

On iPhone:

1. I want to see iMessage sent to number X
  2. I want to see regular test messages (SMS) sent to number X

And this is fine, everything works

On iPad:

1. I DON'T want to see iMessage sent to number X
  2. I want to see regular test messages (SMS) sent to number Y

And here I have a problem. If I fully disable iMessage for X, I also cannot see regular test messages (SMS) for Y

Jun 29, 2023 1:59 AM in response to Ingo2711

Not exactly.

iMessage on iPad is disabled. When I sent SMS to number Y (on iPad), I actually see in notifications that I receive new SMS, but when i try to see it and open Message app, it require to activate iMessage which I don't want to use.

So it looks like or I should use both or none of them, and it is not possible to split SMS from iMessage

iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.