Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPad died & can’t erase. What to do?

After 5 years, my iPad took a complete dump. I never turned on Find My because it never left the house and I was not concerned I would lose it. The following day, I realized I would not be able to sign the device out or erase it.

Im curious now as to what steps I should take before properly disposing of the device…OR, should I take it to an Apple Store and let them dispose of it? OR, might they be able to connect to the device and remove the information for me?

what a conundrum…*sigh*

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 6:55 AM

4 replies

Aug 8, 2023 9:16 AM in response to LetThemEatCake73

Did your iPad use the same Apple ID as your other Apple devices? If so you can use your iPhone or another connected Apple device on the same Apple ID to try and recover lost data. If your iPad and your devices were syncing together using Apple ID no data should have been lost except for data exclusive to the iPad such as game progress and special account information but if you remember your password and account of the games from your iPad you can easily recover your game progress and use it on your other devices. My iPhones and iPads in the past used the same Apple ID and every time they were near each other and connected to Wi-FI they synced the data up between each other. As for erasing or signing out of you can go Apple’s website and possibly get them to erase or remove the device. You could also remove it from your Apple ID and trusted devices under your name in Settings or Apple’s website.

Aug 8, 2023 7:06 AM in response to LetThemEatCake73

You don't provide details but I would think if you can't turn it on then neither can anybody else. Even if they could, they would need your passcode in order to sign in. If you had set up Find My you could have then set it to lock in the eventuality somebody did get it to start, but you have to set up Find My on the device itself.

From the very bottom of Apple Trade In - Apple :

"Does Apple offer recycling?

Yes. Apple Trade In lets you recycle any Apple device (including devices from Apple-owned brands) at any Apple Store and on Apple for free. That includes your batteries and old electronic products as well as free, on-demand packaging recycling for our commercial, education, and institutional customers. When we receive your device, it will be thoroughly inspected to determine if components can be recycled or reused. Whether recycled or reused, all activities relating to the processing of your device will be managed in an environmentally responsible way."

Aug 8, 2023 7:04 AM in response to LetThemEatCake73

In reverse order, last point first…

Your iPad uses an encrypted filesystem. Unless you are able to successfully power-on your iPad such that it is running normally - and you are able to enter your passcode - all locally stored data will remain encrypted and beyond reach/unrecoverable by anybody, even Apple.

Returning a damaged/broken Apple device to Apple will ensure that the item is properly and securely recycled.

As for additional steps, assuming the iPad is non-functional, there are no additional steps to follow.

May 7, 2024 5:04 PM in response to LetThemEatCake73

Got a new iPad older one is discontinued google don’t want to recognize the new one everytime I log in I have to prove it’s me I get logged in and within 2hours it’s the same thing again .. this has been going on since march 14 24

not getting any better been thinking of getting everything about google deleted from my iPad how di I fix this nothing I’ve tried has worked more than one time then I’m back where I started .dont know if it’s me or google

iPad died & can’t erase. What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.