Nothing will connect with HomeKit after upgrading Spectrum Internet

I upgraded my Spectrum internet last week to 1gig. Prior to installing my new router and modem, everything in HomeKit was working wonderfully. Once I installed the new equipment (and was forced into a new network credentials), I started having issues with accessories being unresponsive. I tried deleting them and re-adding them, and now, non of the hubs or bridges will connect. I use a Hue bridge and Sengled bridge. They worked like a dream before, now they can’t connect. I have power cycled everything, frustratingly restarted my modem and router several times. I deleted old network from my phone. Deleted and reinstalled the HomeKit app. I reset both my Hue and Sengled bridges — to no avail. My smart lights works perfectly in the native app, and they CAN be controlled through Alexa just fine. This points to HomeKit being the problem. I’m at my wits end because I have power cycled and restarted everything (including my phone, Apple TV, all accessories, and bridges). I’m on the latest software. Everything was working until I updated my spectrum equipment. Any suggestions (other than turn it on and off again) would be extremely helpful.

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2024 12:57 PM

My HomePod also works intermittently. When it connects, it works until disconnected. The next time I try to connect, say the next day, I cannot connect at all. Sometimes a reboot of my iPhone works, but mostly it doesn’t. I was going to buy a new HomePod but I see from this thread, that may not be the best idea.

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2024 12:57 PM in response to MJeromeBell

My HomePod also works intermittently. When it connects, it works until disconnected. The next time I try to connect, say the next day, I cannot connect at all. Sometimes a reboot of my iPhone works, but mostly it doesn’t. I was going to buy a new HomePod but I see from this thread, that may not be the best idea.

Nov 14, 2023 8:57 PM in response to MJeromeBell

Hello,

I have spectrum Internet as well, and I have been facing numerous problems with my original HomePods from 2018, as well as my Apple TV. Spectrum is my only choice where I live here in rural New Hampshire and the issue I’ve been having is that even though my iPhone 15 is connected to the same Wi-Fi, my HomePods must think I’m on a different Wi-Fi and so does my Apple TV because I don’t have airplay access, I don’t have the ability to control alarms and timers or even control the music, and I can’t use my phone as the Apple TV remote. I’ve tried everything from resetting my router, to turning off the private Wi-Fi address on my phone and yet there isn’t any luck whatsoever. My smart lights all work just fine and I can turn those on and off remotely with no issue but that’s what’s been going on for me.

Jan 22, 2024 7:49 AM in response to AM-1776

And if I have to buy a new router, is there something comparable to Amplifi Alien router, though cheaper? Or should I bite the bullet and just spend the $350-$400 on the Amplifi Alien router? My issues (speakers not connecting, Apple HomePod and a Visio speaker) started the day after having Spectrum installed and using their assigned modem (EU2251) and router (SAX1V1S).

Sep 4, 2023 3:03 PM in response to MJeromeBell

With numerous Homekit accessories and Apple hardware to deal with I have found it useful to change the SSID and password of a replacement modem/router to be the same as the replaced device. This is done via the router settings. This should be done at the time of installing the router.

In your case it might be too late but could be worth trying in an attempt to fix your problems.

Nov 5, 2023 4:37 PM in response to turingtest2

Update: The Hue and Sengled bridges are connected and have been super reliable for the past two months. My HomePods and WiFi smart devices are a completely different story. They disconnect and become unresponsive at least five times a day.

Spectrum doesn’t give me that type of access (to change the settings you mentioned). Everyday my HomePods will not respond, and I can’t figure out what’s the issue.

Nov 14, 2023 9:23 PM in response to AM-1776

If you are able to change the wifi router settings try disabling the 5Ghz channel for troubleshooting purposes.

Also try assigning a static IP address to the Homepods (instead of dynamic). Assigning fixed channels might also help.

Another possible issue is that "smart" modems can confuse Homepods - if applicable, try disabling that feature.

These were issues with original Homepods several years ago.

Nothing will connect with HomeKit after upgrading Spectrum Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.