Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Dual sims - line keeps changing to wrong phone number

I have my contact set up to my "business line" but when I send a text it changes to my personal line. I did not have this issue until I upgraded my phone to the 14 Max. I had a 12 Pro before.

Current iOS 16.6.1, iPhone 14 Pro Max

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 8:46 AM

Yeah this isn't helpful. I know how to change between them. The problem is...I start a new text (I click on business to use business as the number to text with) i send my text....it is sent with personal. So it isn't switching when I ask it to. I know others are having this issue. All Apple does is send out this same link to everyone. We are not all idiots and know how to use our phone the basic way. This is an iPhone glitch that needs to be FIXED. Please help us...the customers that keep buying the iPhones. Maybe the joke is on us.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 8:46 AM in response to bailier

Yeah this isn't helpful. I know how to change between them. The problem is...I start a new text (I click on business to use business as the number to text with) i send my text....it is sent with personal. So it isn't switching when I ask it to. I know others are having this issue. All Apple does is send out this same link to everyone. We are not all idiots and know how to use our phone the basic way. This is an iPhone glitch that needs to be FIXED. Please help us...the customers that keep buying the iPhones. Maybe the joke is on us.

Sep 12, 2023 7:46 AM in response to trlotlo

Hi trlotlo,

We suggest trying the following steps from this article: Using Dual SIM with an eSIM - Apple Support

Send messages with iMessage and SMS/MMS

You can use iMessage or SMS/MMS to send messages with either phone number. You can choose a number to use before or after you start a conversation. Here's how. 

Image shows number selection for conversation. 

Choose a number before you send an iMessage or SMS/MMS message

1. Open Messages.

2. Tap the New button, in the upper-right corner of the screen.

3. Enter your contact's name.

4. Tap the current phone number.

5. Tap the number you want to use.

Image shows switching number during conversation.

Those are the steps for selecting which number you want to use in a Message thread.

We hope that helps.

Take care.

May 19, 2024 1:57 AM in response to bailier

I only see it supported in the Contacts app to change Conversation Line setting for one contact at a time.

More often, Users would want to be able to change this setting once for a group of contacts e.g all Business contacts and/or all Personal contacts.

For even as few as a dozen contacts, changing this setting one contact at a time gets to be highly inconvenient. I also tried to create a Shortcut to change this contact setting but did not see Conversation Line available

Dual sims - line keeps changing to wrong phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.