Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone randomly shuts off and won't turn back on after iOS 17 Update: Seeking Solutions

Hello everyone, I find myself in a rather challenging situation with my iPhone 13 mini. Ever since I updated to iOS 17, my iPhone has been shutting down randomly and refuses to turn back on, regardless of what I try. I've attempted the volume up, volume down, and hold power button technique (trust me, I've repeated this process more times and for longer durations than you can imagine). The only solution I've found so far is to take my seemingly lifeless phone to an Apple store, where they perform a forced reboot. I've had to make this trip a total of three times because I'm a student and can't afford to purchase a new phone outright. This suggestion came from an Apple Genius technician since I originally bought my phone in the US, and it couldn't be repaired in the UK.

Each time I visited the Apple store, they ran a diagnostic test, and each time, everything appeared to be in good health. My battery and hardware checked out fine, and the only explanation the Apple Genius technicians provided was that it's a "glitch." Living this way is not an option for me, as I rely on my phone for both school and work, and I'm currently unable to afford a replacement. I almost got fined in the London subway as my phone had died during a trip and I didn't have a way to prove that I had bought a ticket at the exit. I'm feeling frustrated and like I've been taken advantage of by Apple, the Genius technicians aren't providing me with any sort of useful help or information and I've exhausted all available solutions. I'm strongly convinced that this problem is a result of iOS 17, something that is completely out of my control. What options do I have?

Thanks.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2024 4:50 AM

I have an iPhone 14 Pro, and did the 17.4 update last night. Now the phone will randomly shut down. I can do the volume up/down --> power button hold restart. But it invariably just ends up shutting down again when the phone autolocks. Can someone at Apple please guide on how to fix this?

Similar questions

25 replies

Nov 13, 2023 6:52 AM in response to Mysticxe

Hey, the issue has been persisting for me but I might've found a workaround. If your phone turns off and will not turn back on even if you try and reset it while charging, you should try and remove the SIM card from your phone and attempt to reset it again while charging, this has worked for me. Best of luck!

Nov 12, 2023 10:55 PM in response to willkg

I have the exact same problem! Apple SERIOUSLY needs to fix this as it’s affecting my life as a student. I need it mainly for school and it randomly shuts off for hours and hours then suddenly turns back on. I wish I never updated it to IOS 17! I’ve had so many problems ever since the update I wish I could revert to iOS 16

Apr 11, 2024 10:28 PM in response to willkg

The same thing is happening to my phone aswell, I updated my phone to iOS 17.4.1 and after this update, my phone will just switch off every 10 minutes or so while I’m using it. Reading the comments I genuinely think this is the new update that has this bug that is causing our phones to switch off. I hope apple fixes this issue soon because it actually disrupts certain things in peoples lives.

Jan 1, 2024 1:53 PM in response to Mysticxe

Hi everyone, this is my first time on here not very tech savvy. I noticed after giving iOS permission to check out Google their 17 point something update, or another a few minutes later “”””” my phone started shutting down. Luckily, I happen to notice and got it back up.. there has to be something in settings where you can be notified or alerted before they do an update. As a matter fact, I just asked Siri if he could notify me before they go to shut down my phone and he said no problem he would add it to the alerts. I’m not anywhere near Tex as most of you as you’re probably my children’s and grandchildren’s age so get into settings and see if there’s something there I know you can find something your are the smartest generation if I may proudly say so?👍🤭

May 15, 2024 12:29 PM in response to willkg

This is probably the best answer. I took the sim out before seeing this post, but had to take the phone (13 mini) to the Apple Store since I was at a point where it wouldn’t charge, and it wouldn’t even get to the unlock screen before shutting down again. I noticed that the SIM card was actually the problem and removing it earlier when I still had the ability to reset while it was attempting to charge would have most likely fixed the phone and prevented it from getting damaged more to the point where it doesn’t finish booting at all. When I took it to Apple they said it was a rear harness issue since the phone wouldn’t charge at all it wasn’t a battery issue. They obviously recommended I replace the entire part $299 or buy a replacement 13 mini for $400. Apple has seriously gone down hill and they’ve become more like an auto dealership that doesn’t fix the problem or repair decides, but just recommends the most expensive and profitable option (replace the majority of the components, or buy a new phone). I’m sure Apple is aware that the SIM cards are causing the logic board/rear assembly to become unusable, but knowing Apple it’s either a known planned obsolescence method, or they are award of it and prefer to let the phones die from their software update/sim malfunction to make people buy new phones and hardware for repair.

I can confirm that the SIM card was the main issue, since after I removed the sim and tried to use a back up work phone (iPhone 8) until I got a replacement, the phone did the exact same thing as the 13 mini started to break which was go from around 30% battery down to 1% and say it was charging initially but unable to go above 1%, then eventually not say charging at all and continue rebooting. Once I took out the SIM card after noticing that the exact same thing was happening to my iPhone 8, the battery went right back to its previous charge of 30% without it having charged back up. It was then able to charge normally and stopped power cycling. Something with the iOS update causes the sim to overload the logic boards ability to charge the battery, and that inability to charge will cause the phone to be unable to have enough battery to finish booting. Apple knows this is the issue since another used mentioned that an Apple Genius had recommended removing the sim and resetting to fix the problem, but they keep these solutions from the rest of the company/sales people/technicians or tell their employees not to mention it to their customers so the phone will become unusable/unrepairable with this method and they can try to profit from replacing huge components or forcing users to buy a new phone which is all they care about.

iPhone randomly shuts off and won't turn back on after iOS 17 Update: Seeking Solutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.