WhatsApp is greyed out on older MacBook macOS versions

I cannot update whatsapp as the latest version requires v.11 or above (mine is 10.15.7). I can continue using WhatsApp whilst showing up in grey, but is there a way of fixing this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 1:55 PM

Planned obsolescence: It's the American way.

Create machines, make them a vital part of your daily life, then force you to continually upgrade a perfectly good piece of equipment in order for it to continue to function by not releasing versions of new software compatible with old equipment.

The Macbook is a well-made computer. I take care of my things, so mine (mid-2012) is in good shape. There is no reason to replace it, other than the fact that the processor won't support newer versions of OSX and the associated apps.

I guess Macs are made for people who would rather poison the planet and further exploit child labour to have the latest thing. Oh, well.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2023 1:55 PM in response to CMCMCM3

Planned obsolescence: It's the American way.

Create machines, make them a vital part of your daily life, then force you to continually upgrade a perfectly good piece of equipment in order for it to continue to function by not releasing versions of new software compatible with old equipment.

The Macbook is a well-made computer. I take care of my things, so mine (mid-2012) is in good shape. There is no reason to replace it, other than the fact that the processor won't support newer versions of OSX and the associated apps.

I guess Macs are made for people who would rather poison the planet and further exploit child labour to have the latest thing. Oh, well.

Nov 13, 2023 10:13 PM in response to CMCMCM3

I purchased a new battery and upgraded my Hard Drive two years ago, as it pretty much died (at least that's what the MacStore "Genius" said). I've since been able to access the old HD on a "sled" using it as an external HD. But the new one has several times the capacity and is, well, new.

The point is, my mid-2012 MacBook Pro is still up and running well. I keep it in good condition, and have upgraded two essential components with little trouble and expense.

I should be able to continue to use it but Apple no longer supports this device.

Same with my iPhone. It still works, and does what I need it to do (be a phone, text device, browser, camera, and iPod replacement). But, it will soon be obsolete, as I can no longer update the iOS and most apps will leave my version off their upgrades.

Seeing as these devices contain rare earth metals and take time and expertise to produce (thus the price), it seems extremely wasteful to leave them behind when they are still fully functional.

I get it, I get it, the tech advances quickly, and chips made now far surpass the processing power and capacity of former models. Still, it seems a shame to waste tech that could be updated.

Nov 9, 2023 1:02 PM in response to CMCMCM3

Can you upgrade your MacBook Air beyond 10.15.7?

The model year of a MacBook Air is available at Apple menu > About This Mac.

A mid 2012 MacBook Air can be upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

A mid 2013 and early 2014 MacBook Air can be upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur macOS 11 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

An early 2015 and a 2017 MacBook Air can be upgraded to the latest version of Monterey macOS 12 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

A 2018 or later MacBook Air can be upgraded to the current version of Sonoma macOS 14. See: How to upgrade to macOS Sonoma - Apple Support

Nov 10, 2023 3:07 PM in response to guillem254

Hi, I've now been using web.whatsapp.com (as I'm not ready to update as yet) and it seems to be working fine.

I was using my last macbook until it literally died (after 'updating'). It's a shame that we feel the need to replace or trade-in the machine that could be made to work. Don't throw it away though! Sell it on eBay. There are always people refurbishing macbooks and everything else.....

Nov 9, 2023 1:28 PM in response to FoxFifth

I have NOT updated macbook at all since I bought it in 2020. I lost 'everything' with my previous macbook in the process of 'updating' (with Apple technical support assisting me the whole way through!) and I am so scared of any updates. I suppose there is no other way - ? (These seems to be no older version of WhatsApp available as far as I could see.) I'm just not up to date with any changes and really puzzles me one day after one hour, green logo just went grey (do people like me exist? I really hate updating......and avoid any updates if at all possible) Thank you for offering solutions though. I really must try.

WhatsApp is greyed out on older MacBook macOS versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.