Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

I lost all my files after updating to iOS 17

I update my phone to iOS 17 and when i went inte my files everything was gone that have never happend before whenever i update my phone the files stays but now all of a sudden its not there i want them back.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 11:02 PM

Hi Ervinnnn,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "I lost all my files when i did the iOS 17 update: why did it happen now"

We are Apple users, just like yourself, in the community, so have no access to your iPhone to check why.

Seems you may not have had enough storage space on your iPhone for the update, for the iPhone to do its work, and for those files. An iPhone comes with a set amount of storage space, and files can fill it up.

Eg: An iPhone generally needs around 8Gb free space in which to operate smoothly at all times.

How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

If storage is a problem: the first step would likely be to carefully back-up all your remaining files.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support so files can be restored if needed.

Then to free up more space: "Manage space on your iPhone in the article below for tips:

See: If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Re: "i want them back"

If files were deleted to make enough space to complete the update, seems files you can redownload would go.

If you have enough space for the files that are missing you can likely re-download them all:

Eg: Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

Redownload books and audiobooks - Apple Support

Redownload TV shows and movies that you purchased - Apple Support

Redownload music - Apple Support

You can also recover recently deleted email, photos, notes, and voice memos.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/restore-purchased-and-deleted-items-iphfe205f2e5/ios:

Hope this helps :-)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 11:02 PM in response to Ervinnnn

Hi Ervinnnn,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "I lost all my files when i did the iOS 17 update: why did it happen now"

We are Apple users, just like yourself, in the community, so have no access to your iPhone to check why.

Seems you may not have had enough storage space on your iPhone for the update, for the iPhone to do its work, and for those files. An iPhone comes with a set amount of storage space, and files can fill it up.

Eg: An iPhone generally needs around 8Gb free space in which to operate smoothly at all times.

How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

If storage is a problem: the first step would likely be to carefully back-up all your remaining files.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support so files can be restored if needed.

Then to free up more space: "Manage space on your iPhone in the article below for tips:

See: If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Re: "i want them back"

If files were deleted to make enough space to complete the update, seems files you can redownload would go.

If you have enough space for the files that are missing you can likely re-download them all:

Eg: Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

Redownload books and audiobooks - Apple Support

Redownload TV shows and movies that you purchased - Apple Support

Redownload music - Apple Support

You can also recover recently deleted email, photos, notes, and voice memos.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/restore-purchased-and-deleted-items-iphfe205f2e5/ios:

Hope this helps :-)

May 11, 2024 5:23 PM in response to brbo

Deleting files to “make room for the update” is a serious overstep. I’m not spending almost $10 a month for there to be extra space on my phone for you to just be deleting things for an update. Do better or I’ll be moving on from Apple in the future. Should absolutely not have to retype my resume because you decided some emojis were more important. Absolutely ridiculous.

May 12, 2024 6:22 AM in response to FedUpSeriously

if by "you" you mean apple then complain to them not us

https://apple.com/feedback

If you mean music downloads then say so (as this is the Music forum)

You may be paying $10 for icloud, or Apple Music, who knows? If it's icloud then you need to use the icloud space correctly, you are not paying for more space on your phone.

What you can do with iCloud storage - Apple Support

I lost all my files after updating to iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.