Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Weather widget asking for location access, but location access is already on.

Just updated to iOS 17.1.1 on my SE. Now my weather widgets are all reading “Location access is needed to show weather near you.” However, when I click the widgets, they open the weather app to the weather in my current location. I’ve tried deleting the widgets and reinstalling and of course powered the phone off and back on. Any idea for a fix?

iPhone 5c

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2024 6:33 PM

I’m having a similar problem. In my case, the weather app loses its location settings altogether and continuously asks me allow it to know my location. Every time I go into privacy settings, location settings, and choose “always”, within a few hours it will revert back and go through the whole cycle again. I also am unable to see Weather on my Apple Watch because it continuously forgets the setting. It’s as if there is some type of glitch in 17.2.1 that will not allow it to remember the “always” setting. I never had this problem before this version of iOS. It’s starting to become very difficult.

Similar questions

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2024 6:33 PM in response to doc007

I’m having a similar problem. In my case, the weather app loses its location settings altogether and continuously asks me allow it to know my location. Every time I go into privacy settings, location settings, and choose “always”, within a few hours it will revert back and go through the whole cycle again. I also am unable to see Weather on my Apple Watch because it continuously forgets the setting. It’s as if there is some type of glitch in 17.2.1 that will not allow it to remember the “always” setting. I never had this problem before this version of iOS. It’s starting to become very difficult.

Jan 27, 2024 1:53 PM in response to goodfriendlxp

This was happening for me too. No matter how many times I selected "always" it would revert.

I installed iOS 17.3 and watchOS 10.3 today and after, went to Weather and there was a new option "While Using the App and Widgets." I selected this, and knock on wood, it has been 3 hours and I have not had the location access request return. I am also now getting weather on my watch, which I had not had since 17.2.1. Fingers crossed!

Jan 18, 2024 5:55 AM in response to goodfriendlxp

I've caught it (and another app) randomly, infrequently, popping up on my Home Screen saying "Weather has been using your location at all times, do you want to switch to only when using app?" and I could see how you could easily touch the screen and select this without even realizing, therefore setting it back to how you don't want it. I think I have done this, and then had to go back in and fix the settings. There should be an option to have it stop asking about that particular app (and I can't remember for sure, but I don't think I saw that option.)

Mar 20, 2024 12:36 PM in response to akukucka

I’m on 17.4:as well. It did it for a while, I made sure the location service for weather was set to always, then it stopped. I have to reset my location settings yesterday and the problem returned, even if I change the weather loc serv to always. How many times do I have to go into loc serv before it actually works? I may never know as I’m getting too PO’d after 10 or so times to try it again. Maybe after the next update.

Weather widget asking for location access, but location access is already on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.