Install Logic Pro (Trial) on macOS 12.7.2 (Monterey)

Hi,

I updated to macOS 12.7.2 and now Garageband does not work. I thought it would be as good a time as any to try installing logic pro as a trial. But, in the App Store, it does not offer that option. Should the App Store not match the installed OS? And how do I install Logic Pro?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jan 9, 2024 6:36 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 10, 2024 4:02 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

@thesurreyfriends - Thanks for your help. Here's how it went. Regarding...

You should also be able to download a compatible version of GarageBand for your macOS 12.7.2 in a similar fashion. Drag your current version of GarageBand to the trash but do not empty the trash just yet.

... I tried the above. But then the following instructions did not work...

Open the App Store and click on your name ( also known as your account) bottom left of screen.
This takes you to your Purchased page which should list GarageBand with other applications
such as iMovie etc.
Click on the download symbol and you should be offered to download the latest compatible version for 12.7.2
In this situation you will be offered the version of GarageBand "that matches your installed OS"

... because, if I remember correctly, it did not let me download GB again.

However, I got onto Apple phone support (who were really nice) and, after some head-scratching, they gave me one important different step, which I'll outline here...

Takeaway Tip: Dragging your current version of GarageBand to the trash is not enough (even if you empty the trash!). Mac apps can still persist some information beyond that which can affect attempts to fix a problem by re-installing applications

Instead, the crucial step to take is...

• Open the "Storage Management" app on your Mac, ie.

• Select "Applications" in the left menu of the Storage Management app
    • Select Garageband in the list of applications
    • Click Delete in the bottom right of the Storage Management app window
    • Confirm to Delete in the popup
    • This performs a more complete app deletion than moving an app to the trash (or moving app to an external hard disk - which I also tried)

Then, when I tried your final steps...

Open the App Store and click on your name ( also known as your account) bottom left of screen.
This takes you to your Purchased page which should list GarageBand with other applications
such as iMovie etc.
Click on the download symbol and you should be offered to download the latest compatible version for 12.7.2
In this situation you will be offered the version of GarageBand "that matches your installed OS"

... everything worked and I could reinstall Garageband successfully! (without loss of projects... as far as I remember)

Thanks again for you help @thesurreyfriends.

Jan 10, 2024 9:34 AM in response to applemau5

Logic Pro Trial is available, but requires Ventura 13.5 just like the full version. Apple does let you buy and download older versions of Logic for your computer, but it is a little bit complicated.

There is a way to buy Logic and install the latest version for your computer, which I believe is version 10.7.9.

How to purchase older version of Logic for those without Ventura 13.5. You'll need to find someone  with a mac that is running at least Ventura 13.5. On their Mac, Open the App Store. Log in with your user ID and purchase Logic. I'm not sure if it will try to download right away but if it does, I believe you can cancel the download. 

Log out of the App Store for the newer computer. 

Now go to your computer. I tried this on Mojave 10.14.6. Delete Logic is you have an older version.

Open App Store. Login if you haven't. Select your account on the bottom left. Look for Logic Pro on your purchases. Do not click on Logic Pro itself. Click on the download symbol. It will bring up some message asking if you want to download the last compatible version. Click download and you should be good to go.

Let us know if that worked for you.

Jan 10, 2024 1:14 PM in response to applemau5

You should also be able to download a compatible version of GarageBand for your macOS 12.7.2 in a similar fashion.

Drag your current version of GarageBand to the trash but do not empty the trash just yet.

such as iMovie etc.

However, the trial version of Logic Pro (and FCP) that is offered at any time is only compatible with the operating systems that the paid version is compatible with at that time, i.e. the trial version " does not match" the older OSs .

May 10, 2024 3:41 AM in response to morozco

@morozco - Thank you so much. Here is what happened when I followed your instructions...

There is a way to buy Logic and install the latest version for your computer, which I believe is version 10.7.9.

How to purchase older version of Logic for those without Ventura 13.5. You'll need to find someone  with a mac that is running at least Ventura 13.5. On their Mac, Open the App Store. Log in with your user ID and purchase Logic. I'm not sure if it will try to download right away but if it does, I believe you can cancel the download. 

... the above is a great tip. And logging into another mac that is running at least Ventura 13.5 allowed me to access the trial on that computer. I installed the trial on that computer (to completion) and was able to use on that computer.

However, regarding...

Now go to your computer. I tried this on Mojave 10.14.6. Delete Logic is you have an older version.

Open App Store. Login if you haven't. Select your account on the bottom left. Look for Logic Pro on your purchases. Do not click on Logic Pro itself. Click on the download symbol. It will bring up some message asking if you want to download the last compatible version. Click download and you should be good to go.

... it was a while ago, so my memory is hazy, but this did not work for me. When I went back to my original mac, Logic Pro was not installable (even though I had completed the steps on my friend's more modern mac OS above). I guess the reason must be as @thesurreyfriends noted below...

However, the trial version of Logic Pro (and FCP) that is offered at any time is only compatible with the operating systems that the paid version is compatible with at that time, i.e. the trial version " does not match" the older OSs .

Thanks again for your help @morozco. It was great to make progress and successfully try out the Logic Pro X trial on my friend's computer. Really appreciate your help.

Install Logic Pro (Trial) on macOS 12.7.2 (Monterey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.