Can't open safari on my older mac

Safari will no longer open on my older desktop computer. My computer seems too old to update safari. This is a situation that has progressively gotten worse. Before, it was difficult and long to open Safari but eventually opened. This morning it won't open at all and force quit will not close it from the finder.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2024 5:44 AM

3 replies

May 18, 2024 10:56 AM in response to Ellen7676

I have a similar problem. My old iMac was able using Software Update to install up thhrough El Capitan (!), as well as updating any Mac to its latest compatible operating system and basic application programs. Now that no longer works. The process demands using the App Store, and earlier versions of the App Store application cannot even get to the current App Store. In addition it was possible to get updates from Apple for application programss ("Apps") without the App Store. That no longer works as you can download installers which don't work.

Now none of this is possible. Safari does not work at all, period, on old Macs, and cannot be updated.

I recommend getting Firefox. Although Firefox's parent, Mozilla.org, will not let you download older versions of Firefox any more, I can maybe tell you how. It used to be possible, but now it is not, even for a programmer.

If you cannot write on your Mac anymore, you could get a cheap Linux box with Linux pre-installed. Linux is a version of Unix, an operating system for programmers, which is nasty nasty nasty to use for laypersons, but you should be able to use it for Web browsing.

BUT It is MUCH better to get the cheapest non-cellular iPad, which is OK for Web browsing. Apple has a word processor called "Pages", which is god-awful, pre-installed on iPads and on new Macs. I now use TextEdit, which sorta works—like driving a skateboard to work, but you get there.

I have used and owned Apple computers since 1981, and Macs since 1985 (when I was programming mainframes and "mini"-computers and then Macs), and will never buy a Windows or Linux machine, as those are only for programmers, folks who have their own in-house consultant, or don't mind spending untold numbers of hours for simple tasks, and getting viruses and other sabotage software from the Web. I used to program mainframes, minis, and the Mac, but I hate coding.

I still use my older Macs for writing, data storage, keeping records, and doing page layout. I just bought a new Mac Mini as I have to take some on-line courses for my job so I need the latest browser as my school's website demands the latest hardware. The Mini is about $500 and can use USB and/or Bluetooth mice and keyboards and external monitors. I only use it for Web stuff, Zoom, Facetime, and Messages. These work well, and Facetime is wonderful. If you buy a new keyboard, get a "mechanical" one, that is with sturdy and reliable keys which give tactile feedback so are more accurate. The other kind, called "scisssor", uses printed circuit keys with flimsy parts and if you spill something on it, it's dead. Apple only sells scissor keyboards, so if you get one tape a piece of Saran wrap over it.

As for your older Mac, I could maybe send you a copy of the ancient and super-easy and accurate word processor with the awful name of WriteNow. It is out of copyright, and the last company who owned the rights told me they cannot sell me a license for it to give to my students as they don't know where it is or what it is. If I can still find it.

It only runs on OS9 or earlier, or OSX up to 10.3 using the "Classic" (pre-OSX) option which runs ancient software. I have a separate Mac just for that, but of course I am a super-annuated loony ex-software geek (before I retired).

So for the Web, get an iPad, and for writing stick to your old Mac. The Mini I just got was my first new Mac in 14 years. Buy it from (ick) Best Buy as it costs $600 at the Apple Stores. Also don't count on Apple Stores for tech support as their staff know nothing but how to sell.

Stick to your old Mac for writing.

Make no mistake, Apple despite its decline is still the best maker of computers, cell phones, and "tablets".

I also never let Apple update my Macs automatically, as that is the fastest way to make a computer obsolete and stop working. Never buy a Windows machine, as those all still get viruses, and "anti-malware" programs for Windows cause more problems than they solve. One of the most popular (Kaspersky) turned out to be written by Russia's GRU spy department!!

If this is not helpful, then there's 15 minutes of your life wasted with

Michael Kaye (michaelbkayeAT-SIGNcybermesa.com)

Can't open safari on my older mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.