Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Camera and Flashlight not working after iOS 17.3.1 update

I completed the iOS 17.3.1 update two days ago and ever since then my back camera and flashlight won't work. I have turned my phone on and off, completed a reset, completed a hard reset, and completed a factory reset and NOTHING is working. I have not dropped my phone and it is in no way damaged, this problem literally only started once the update was completed. Looking for advice on what I can do.

Posted on Feb 14, 2024 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2024 7:25 AM

So the camera facing me works ok but, the outward facing camera has a blank screen and no flash. If I continually try to de-zoom and get it to 0.5X, it takes a picture with a wild looking rainbow color across half the picture. Still no flash either. I use my phone to document lots of things at work. I might finally go Android if this is not resolved. My iphone 14 has never been dropped or damaged. It was the morning after the 17.3.1 overnight update when I noticed the camera and flash stopped working.

Please help us out Apple. It’s not just me having this issue.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2024 7:25 AM in response to Brent C

So the camera facing me works ok but, the outward facing camera has a blank screen and no flash. If I continually try to de-zoom and get it to 0.5X, it takes a picture with a wild looking rainbow color across half the picture. Still no flash either. I use my phone to document lots of things at work. I might finally go Android if this is not resolved. My iphone 14 has never been dropped or damaged. It was the morning after the 17.3.1 overnight update when I noticed the camera and flash stopped working.

Please help us out Apple. It’s not just me having this issue.

Feb 15, 2024 7:38 AM in response to QuinnP23

The same has happened to me! I’ve tried every fix I’ve found and nothing. I have found my camera and flash

works if I zoom to 0.5, but otherwise the main camera will not work. The selfie camera works! The torch is not working either.

Apple has not released anything about this issue but so many are posting about it!

I keep checking for a new update.

I hope someone replies to this post with a fix that works.

Feb 29, 2024 4:57 AM in response to JMS623

Exact same issue, took it to the Genius Bar who confirmed my phone had no visual damage. However they are suggesting that the camera module was somehow broken before the software update and this new update has simply flagged the issue…. how could this possibly be true if all camera and flashlight features worked perfectly before the update?

They want £200 to replace the telephoto camera module. Absolutely ridiculous.

There was nothing wrong at all with the camera module before the update, they even gave me a written report which confirms the update has caused these issues but are refusing to repair it.

It is unacceptable that Apple can push software updates which removes features of a device which they advertised when they sold me the device. It’s a breach of consumer rights legislation.

Apr 5, 2024 1:09 PM in response to QuinnP23

I’m having exact same issue. No damage to phone and camera only works on 0.5x and can get the flash to work when it’s on that setting too, but if I go to 1x or try and use flashlight on its own I get a blank screen. Again looks like this happened after the 17.4 update

very annoying and can’t beleive Apple aren’t doing anything to fix this problem

Apr 30, 2024 5:21 AM in response to sb1364

I agree I am so tired of either unable to update due to storage issues even when I delete practically everything to update software storage shows too full then when I can update something doesn’t work. In this case it is my flashlight which only works if I use my flash with camera and camera only works now on 0.5 magnification and that too days to figure out. Prior to this I was told I needed to pay to fix the phone or replace it but clearly the flashlight works it’s the flashlight icon that is not working

Camera and Flashlight not working after iOS 17.3.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.