Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

halo effect

i have been having this awful halo effect around the sun, in photos, with iphone 15 pro max. i did not have this issue with 11

pro max. makes any photo, with any adjustments, of the sun turn out awful. any suggestions??

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 7, 2024 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 2:16 AM

There is frequently a rainbow coloured halo around the sun because of the refraction caused by ice crystals in the upper atmosphere, also bright patches around the sun caused by the scattering in the fog. These halos can be very faint and barely visible to the naked eye.

However, the recent iPhone models can amplify the colours in the halos by the automatic HDR the Camera.app is using whenever possible. Automatic HDR can create great pictures in high contrast situations. On older iPhone models and with older iOS versions, we could turn it off, when we did not want the highly saturated colours or highly detailed objects. This is no longer possible on the most recent iPhone models, see: Adjust HDR camera settings on iPhone - Apple Support (English)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2024 2:16 AM in response to mariposa4633

There is frequently a rainbow coloured halo around the sun because of the refraction caused by ice crystals in the upper atmosphere, also bright patches around the sun caused by the scattering in the fog. These halos can be very faint and barely visible to the naked eye.

However, the recent iPhone models can amplify the colours in the halos by the automatic HDR the Camera.app is using whenever possible. Automatic HDR can create great pictures in high contrast situations. On older iPhone models and with older iOS versions, we could turn it off, when we did not want the highly saturated colours or highly detailed objects. This is no longer possible on the most recent iPhone models, see: Adjust HDR camera settings on iPhone - Apple Support (English)

Mar 8, 2024 3:02 AM in response to mariposa4633

My pleasure. 😊

I would be already satisfied, if the iPhone would save the normal version of of each HDR photo in addition to the HDR version. Then I could decide later which version to keep.

I kept using my iPhone 5s for a long time, because it has been the last model, where we could keep the normal version when taking HDR photos.

Now that I am having only the iPhone 15 pro Max, I have lost some great photo opportunities because of HDR artefacts that have spoiled the photo.

In the case of the pictures with the sun in the photo, I do not mind the halo so much, but the overexposed white patch, where the sun is. I am usually using an external editor on my Mac to darken the overexposed highlights.

Mar 8, 2024 3:49 AM in response to mariposa4633

Turning off "Show Full HDR" under Settings > Photos might help a bit. The iPhone will no longer use the full dynamic range of the display, so yummy no longer notice the halos. But the Camera.app will still take HDR pictures by taking nine separate images with a different exposure time and combining the with Deep Fusion to a HDR image (whenever it decides this will give the better picture because of strong contrasts ).

halo effect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.