Apple Pay Asking for Shipping and Billing Update Issues

I'm having this issue after updating to iOS 17.4 when previously I didn't have an issue with purchasing stuff online using Apple Pay. It telling me to update my shipping, billing address, etc... when everything is correct. The wording is in red when you're about to process an online order saying update billing address.

I’ve updated the details and a payment does go through, but as soon as I try to place another order, it says that I require to update my details again. The issue is it won’t accept the updated details for subsequent transactions.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 9:54 AM

1. iPhone > Settings app > Wallet & Apple Pay > Transaction Defaults > Shipping Address > make changes
  2. iPhone > Wallet app > tap card (payment method) > tap More Button (3 dots in circle in upper right corner) > Card Details > Billing Address - you’ll need to change all payment methods eventually
  3. iPhone > Settings app >Apple ID (You Name at top of screen) > Payment & Shipping > Shipping Address > make changes

If you use Apple Pay on a Mac, you’ll need to update there as well.

Please let me know if you need Mac instructions.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2024 9:54 AM in response to ABMatt

1. iPhone > Settings app > Wallet & Apple Pay > Transaction Defaults > Shipping Address > make changes
  2. iPhone > Wallet app > tap card (payment method) > tap More Button (3 dots in circle in upper right corner) > Card Details > Billing Address - you’ll need to change all payment methods eventually
  3. iPhone > Settings app >Apple ID (You Name at top of screen) > Payment & Shipping > Shipping Address > make changes

If you use Apple Pay on a Mac, you’ll need to update there as well.

Please let me know if you need Mac instructions.

Mar 10, 2024 11:31 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Thank you. I’ve tried all three suggestions (before and after your reply) and still won’t accept the updated details when I try purchasing online using Apple Pay.

When I go to use Apple Pay, red writing says “Update billing address. Update shipping contact. Update shipping address.”

I’ve updated the details, using the red writing links and a payment does go through, but as soon as I try to place another order, red writing reappears it says that I require to update my details again.

The issue is it won’t accept the updated details for subsequent transactions.

Mar 10, 2024 12:18 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Okay so I tried buying an item from the Apple Store app, and went to use Apple Pay and it worked perfectly fine, no requesting updated billing and shipping information.

So I went back to an online store, that I use regularly, three time a month, and the problem is still there when trying to pay using Apple Pay! 🙁 Asking for updates to my billing and shipping.

Mar 10, 2024 1:15 PM in response to ABMatt

I think Apple Pay might be confused by your Apple Watch. Apple Watch syncs off iPhone and I think Apple Pay (or bank) may be seeing different shipping information.

You can test this by unpairing your Apple Watch from iPhone, checking addresses are still correct, and then try a transaction. If it works, then pair the two devices again and try another transaction.

You could also leave out the middle step by unpairing the devices and then pairing them again, and checking if the address sticks.

Apr 7, 2024 2:28 PM in response to snkhan

Let’s try to resolve your specific issue.

Have you updated your information at the three specific locations I’ve detailed below?

iPhone > Settings > Apple ID (Your Name at top of screen) > Payment & Shipping > tap card to edit > tap Billing address > tap edit (upper right corner of screen) edit necessary changes

iPhone > Settings > Apple ID (Your Name at top of screen) > Payment & Shipping > Shipping Address (edit or delete address

iPhone > Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > Transaction Defaults (scroll down) > Shipping Address > Edit (upper right corner of screen) > either Enter New Shipping Address, add new address or edit/delete addresses

May 27, 2024 2:47 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Jeff, I appreciate you are trying to help but I am getting the same error and the issue is that there are no changes to make. Two days ago my Apple Pay worked and today it did not. Two days ago it had the same exact information as my address it had yesterday. You telling people how to make changes when there are no changes to make is not an answer to the question being asked.

Apple Pay Asking for Shipping and Billing Update Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.