Blinking Volume lights in HomePod

Woke up. Got out of bed. Dragged a comb across my head and then I noticed that the volume buttons on my HomePod were flashing on and off… Nonstop. It won’t play and won’t reset. Unplugged it, waited, plugged it back in. Stir, and repeat. Help, please!

HomePod, 17

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 9:49 PM

5 replies

May 18, 2024 1:03 PM in response to tucsonbil

Sorry you can’t get it to reset. It’s a serious hardware failure. The repair or replace by Apple is not worth the cost due to expired warranty . Almost as much as a new one. This is honestly the only options I or we have for you to get it working. Good luck!

• Also if you have other HomePods that are exhibiting strange behaviour such as loud popping sounds, do try the instructions I provided above to fix it before they go the blink. And update the software one at a time, at your own risk and check each one works before updating the next. That’s what I do

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 12, 2024 10:17 AM in response to tucsonbil

This issue can be difficult to fix. In some cases the following instructions may help:

• start by unplugging it for over 24 hrs
  • Plug back in
  1. Unplug HomePod again or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini, wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch and hold your finger to the top of HomePod.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

Apr 12, 2024 1:59 PM in response to Vancouver22

Hey! Thanks for the suggestion. Went through the steps you outlined and all went as it should until the end... White turned to red (for about a minute) and then recycled to blinking volume buttons again. No tones / no factory reset. I tried using the Home app and it doesn't see the HomePod at all.

I'll unplug and try again tomorrow.

Thank you!

Blinking Volume lights in HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.