Is there a Mac iCloud solution for European developers?

Hi,

For our app development company we are looking for a proper Mac Cloud solution, preferable M1 or M2. Anyone experiences with these providers? Anything to be taken into account? And which parties are in Europe available?

thx

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 2:57 AM

6 replies

May 10, 2024 10:08 AM in response to abk2000

Sorry, your question is not very clear.

iCloud is a cloud based sync service provided by Apple on all Macs. No third parties can provide this as they have no access to Apple's iCloud servers in any way shape or form.

M1 or M2 refer to the CPU in the Mac you are using. It has nothing to do with iCloud.

iCloud is not dependent on the hardware or the CPU your Macs have.

What kind of cloud solution are you looking for? How is the CPU type tied to this requirement exactly?

What exactly are you looking for?

May 10, 2024 12:46 PM in response to abk2000

MacStadium and Amazon both offer hosted macOS and related services. The former lists a branch in Ireland, though I’ve not looked into that. Amazon is all over.

Based on some web searches (for mac hosting europe) https://vboxx.eu/mac-hosting and some others show up.

As for iCloud-adjacent back-end hosting alternatives, Parse Platform and NextCloud are probably worth a look, though what back-end services you want matters there. Those and similar can be hosted on various providers.

May 10, 2024 1:12 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi, thanks for your reply. I see the moderator has adjusted the title. My question was on mac in cloud solutions in Europe. So rent a macOS in the cloud.

We need a solution for app development for our teams in Amsterdam. iOS development. 8gb and 16gb seems to be enough. I found various parties myself, like this one: www.rentyourmac.com/cloud

Do you know this company? Would you have other alternatives?

May 10, 2024 3:22 PM in response to abk2000

You really want to have a local Mac for development. Mac mini or otherwise. That’s where the native development tools all run. (Ignoring Playgrounds here, yes.)

If you’re thinking about using cross-platform or third-party IDE tooling or some sort of remote development, you’ll want to learn way more about how that all works or doesn't work, and how you can get support for that tooling and that development from the IDE provider involved and from their related forums.

May 11, 2024 2:44 AM in response to abk2000

If you are just looking for a central exchange point for your team you might want to rent a virtual server and put git services on it.

I successfully run a virtual Ubuntu server with a German cloud hoster the machine being in a data center based in Nuremburg/Germany (all the European data protection laws apply, GDPR). Put gitea on it (really simple but powerful git service, similar to Atlassian or Github or anything). The service is used for our team exclusively with members in Europe, USofA, and India. Cost? Minimal, about 20€/$ per month. Development is local (as others have recommended), our gitea-server is our common exchange point.

What else are you looking for?

Is there a Mac iCloud solution for European developers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.