Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Family share apps but maintain individual payments

Is the following possible? If not PLEASE enable the option to EITHER;

• share apps with a specific family member only (so that payments are only shared with that family member and that/those specific family member(s) can either pay the lead account holder back or use the account top up work around for their own account prior to making their own purchases)

OR ideally;

• Enable family sharing of (ideally specific) apps, whilst maintaining an option for each family member to pay for their own App Store purchases. This could even be limited to specific people within the family to limit the financial impact on app developers/apple etc if this were a concern/issue.

The current functionality does not work for my family. We have family sharing set up for Apple Music and Apple TV between 5 people. Each of us have our own apps/subscriptions that we need to continue to transparently pay for ourselves (I have a number I need for work and pay for monthly myself).

However, I would also like to use both “my own” and “my wife’s” iOS devices to use specific apps (for music/video production for example). I have bought and regularly use a lot of expensive apps over the years of loyal Apple service. “We” (/she) have/has a much more powerful (iPad pro) than the devices registered to my Apple ID, but as it stands I can not use “her” device to use “my” (/our) apps within our household, without her playing parent to the entire (adult) family and having the ultimate responsibility of paying for everyone’s purchases. It also invades the family members’ privacy as they can’t have their own “private” purchases with the current set up.

If there is rationale for this not being a feature then can I ask what the rationale is please?

If there is not rationale for this being an option for family app sharing then can I ask why it is not currently implemented or when it will be implemented?

I see a lot of questions relating to this issue online but with them all separate, wonder if the “weight” of the “demand” for this feature is not being registered at Apple. It would be incredibly helpful feature for my family and, I am sure, most of the Apple Family Sharing subscribers.

Thank you.

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 6:18 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Family share apps but maintain individual payments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.