Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

My iPad is a generation 8. Shows I have 31GB with only 32GB.

How can I delete earlier storage I saved on external hard drive, but not the later storage? Also, when I opened google photos it shows you can store photos. But it doesn’t show where to find it nor does it tell whether or not it actually frees up storage. Can you explain? I want to create a poster, don’t want to delete my favorite photos. What do I do? Is it better to buy more space for my iPad?

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 8:13 AM

3 replies

Apr 23, 2024 8:30 AM in response to Blue2959

It is impossible to increase the amount of RAM or internal storage in your iPad - as this is fixed during manufacture; what you have is fixed for the life of your device. You can, however, subscribe to a higher tier of iCloud storage - but this is not a substitute for internal storage.

Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

iPad models with limited internal storage will always be a frustration if you intend to locally store data and photos on the device itself. Consider that the iPadOS Operating System alone will occupy 10-12GB of available storage space - in addition to which you should always aim to maintain at least 4-6GB of free space at all times - as your iPad needs some temporary space to complete some tasks, such as performing system software updates. Combined, these requirements alone require 14-18GB of space from your available 32GB.

While iCloud storage can be used for stand-alone storage, iCloud storage is also used for synchronising files between devices - and to make these files (e.g., Photos) available to other computers using a web browser:

https://icloud.com

More information about iCloud can be found here:

iCloud User Guide - Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

If your iPad's internal storage is full, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data. 

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

“Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

Additional information about creating sufficient space for installation of a software update can be found here:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

External storage options can often help with managing limited internal storage. Depending upon your iPad model, the iPad will either have a Lightning or USB-C port - and may therefore require either an Adapter or USB hub to connect the USB Storage device. If your iPad has a Lightning port, you’ll need an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

May 7, 2024 4:35 PM in response to Blue2959

While there are a small number of Apps that cannot be removed from iOS/iPadOS devices, all Apps that can be removed are not system critical.

Put another way, of the iPad allows deletion of an App, the iPad will continue to be fully useable; any native App that is manually deleted can be simply reinstalled from the Apple App Store if/when required.

My iPad is a generation 8. Shows I have 31GB with only 32GB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.